View Single Post
Old October 23rd, 2012 (02:16 PM).
metaphysical poet

Nature: Sassy
Hi there.

I think the first point I'm going to make here is that the games and the competitive environment are not as similar as people often make them out to be. Competitive pokemon is primarily played on simulators [though wifi works too] and honestly, bears a lot more resemblance to chess than the Pokemon games, at times. The Pokemon you use are often different from the ones you raised in games [especially since you used up all your EV points on them]; the ones on simulators are all there for you to use, and people often use "legal hacks" on wifi [use an AR to generate a competitive-apt Pokemon, but not illegal, aka 900 in all stats, or get EV-trained ones from traders/breeders.

The second point I'm gonna make here is one a lot of people miss, and that is that not every Pokemon is viable/usable/good, even in the lower metagames. The Pokemon you listed are all pretty bad by OU's standards, and with the exception of Lilligant, Sigilyph and Yamask/Cohagrigus, NU's standards, NU being the lowest tier. An example of an OU stall team might look something like:

Skarmory/Celebi/Heatran/Latias/Hippowdon/Starmie

Not sure if that's a great build, but most stall teams in OU are built from the cores of a few Pokemon and the best stall teams often don't diverge much from each other [although there are some separate builds of stall, such as Sand Stall which utilizes Sand Stream]. A stall team also has Pokemon doing certain things, Skarmory is responsible for putting down Spikes, which do damage to Pokemon switching in [lots of switching in the metagame; this is how stall handles strong offensive teams and keeps their opponents at bay]. That's just a small portion of what there is about the metagame and stall, I reccomend reading articles on smogon.com to learn more, more specifically their introduction to competitive Pokemon http://www.smogon.com/dp/articles/intro_comp_pokemon

For tiers, I reccomend starting with OU, just because it's what everyone plays, and the Pokemon are fun and easy to use; plus you can use pretty much anything [except the Ubers, which is a different and harder-to-learn metagame] so you can experiment a lot. I wouldn't worry about having to use legends, a lot of them are just small contributors that are useful more because of their balanced offensive/defensive capabilities [Jirachi, Heatran, etc] than being overpowered; not every legend is good in the meta.

On the subject of sand attack, it is considered bad form to some people, since you're basically luck-fishing, but it's also a bad idea. Sand attack doesn't always work [neither do some other luck based moves or strategies], and when it doesn't; you're essentially wasting a turn, that your opponent could use to set up a swords dance or a substitute, putting you in a dire situation; make every turn count and go towards some way of beating your opponent. Also, evasion boosters like double team are banned anyways; though the accuracy lowering ones aren't.

Good luck in your pursuit of competitive pocket monsters!