View Single Post
Old October 25th, 2012 (1:04 PM).
RIP Konami 1969-2015
Nature: Modest
Quote originally posted by hobusu:
Personally, I would have Prof. Oak give you one to start your National Pokedex (kind of like how he gave you a Kanto starter to begin your Kanto Dex). The others...? Maybe get one (either directly or indirectly) from your Rival, and the third could be a prize from Oak for completing the Kanto Dex.
I was considering having one or two of them be obtainable from Prof. Oak, in a similar fashion to that. It worked for Emerald, after all. However, that would leave the question of how I could properly fit them into the game. Having your rival give you another starter would seem real off; the only reason he gave you the hatched egg of his starter (game-wise) was because he saw it as disposable, unnecessary. As someone who would be new to Johto Pokémon, I don't think he'd be willing to relinquish a Johto starter no matter what, which also means he'd never risk getting an egg of it.

Speaking of Oak, I had an idea the other day:
You probably know that Prof. Oak had trainer data in the 1st-gen games. Why not put that fight in the remakes? You could do it a number of ways -- He could challenge you in his Lab, he could be a surprise E4 battle (as his Pokemon were at a higher level than the Rival's entire team), you name it!
I don't think the battle would be that fitting regardless of where I would put it, IF I was to put it in. Doing so would infer that Prof. Oak spent the entirety of the game training the unchosen Kanto starter into its final form, AND assembling a team of other Pokémon at levels greater than that of your rival. I'm of the belief that that specific battle was cut out of the game early in production, considering that there's no reference to it in the original ROM at all, not even an associated script. Plus it really wouldn't make sense given the context of the game's final release. Changing the story isn't my objective. Adding extras to it, though? I'm fine with that.

Theoretically, though, it wouldn't be hard to do. We already know what his Pokémon would be, and a battle sprite is already present (the one used for the Fame Checker). I'd just have to create a script that chooses which battle will be had based on the player's starter.

Anyway, there's my two cent's worth. I imagine I'll be happy no matter what you do, though! ()
Thanks! Right now I'm working real hard on a critical update to the patch. It won't be one that introduces much in getting more Pokémon, but rather one that attempts to remedy the hack's original focus. That's all I'll say, but, for anyone who happened upon a couple of my posts in a different thread, you probably have an idea of what it is. I hope to get it out before next week.