View Single Post
Old November 4th, 2012, 11:02 AM
Nurse Kevin
Pokémon Videogame Researcher

Nature: Serious
There something I just realized about editing midi files, and this is making me think right now that maybe I did everything wrong from the start. There's this guy called HyperShadicX on YouTube who remixed a song from Pokémon R/S/E to replace the trainer battle theme for Pokémon B/W. I checked the midi file he used and it has only 9 tracks in contrast to B/W's trainer battle theme which has 11 tracks. I always thought you had to add the notes from the R/S/E midi into the B/W midi (the one you extract from VGMTrans) and replace its original notes with the notes of the R/S/E midi.

Also, I thought that these R/S/E notes had to be placed exactly on the B/W track that plays the intrument that you want the notes to play. I thought this because as far as I'm concerned I can't seem to change an instrument from a channel (track). For example, Channel 3 (of a random midi) plays the Harmonica but I want it to play Synth Bass 2 instead. You (Team Fail) did say something about changing the patch numbers in FL Studio, but the only 2 areas (as far as I know) that mention the patch numbers are:

1. Fruity LSD (Insert 1) box (where you open the .dls file).

2. Channel Settings box.

On the Fruity LSD box, I click on one of the channels listed in the box and it gives me an option to click on a patch number (supposedly to change the instrument). I click on it, but instead of hearing the new instrument play, it either plays a different sound instead of the game sound or it just doesn't play any sound at all. The Channel Settings box does kind of the same thing, only that sometimes it does play the instrument from a game after changing the patch number listed there. However, when I click "Stop" to halt midi's playback and clicking "Play" again, it resets all changed settings to its original settings.

Questions:

1. Is it possible to remix a midi file with less tracks than the original midi which has more tracks using the game's .dls file?

2. How do I change instruments from a channel to play a different instrument rather than the order that the instruments play?

3. How do I save the changed settings? (As far as I'm concerned, the only changes made in a midi file that save are the notes and its settings. Sound settings don't seem to change at all prior to saving, which makes it difficult for me to determine how the song will sound like in-game. The only way I can determine how a song will sound in-game is by placing the new notes into the channels that play the instruments in the order that it came in.)

Last edited by Nurse Kevin; November 4th, 2012 at 11:10 AM.