View Single Post
Old November 5th, 2012, 12:17 PM
machomuu
The Lights in the Sky are Stars
Community Supporter

Nature: Relaxed
Quote:
Originally Posted by J View Post
but anyways dudes if you don't like the Power of Friendship and the conjecture that love conquers all, then i suggest you go watch some dark-noir series where everyone dies and does cocaine and dies while doing cocaine and so on and so forth.
or you can just stay in reality; there is nothing more silly than trying to look for reality in fiction.
I disagree, I think that looking for reality in fiction makes perfect sense. Things like Eden of the East and Baccano!, to name a couple, are great anime that ground themselves in reality while adding surreal elements without it not making sense. Realism does work to make things more interesting, that's largely why people like a lot of series out there that do so. I've never been a fan of "the power of friendship" or "love conquers all" when used as a character amplifier or an illogical plot point, and it's ruined varipus anime for me (anime that were trying to take themselves seriously). Sometimes it's made them predictable, and other times it is just silly (exempting the cases, such as kids shows, TTGL, and some other shows, where they use the powers of friendship and love as either thematic devices, explained facets of reality, or intentionally illogical powers). However, there are anime that take those themes and use them so that they make sense, such as Angel Beats!, Slayers Next, so on and so forth. Realism can and often does make things better, especially in media. An anime doesn't have to be "uber dark" to be realistic, that would make them far more niche and far less popular. It would alienate age groups, people of various interests and sensitivities, and a bunch of others. All creators of some media, especially those that are surreal, consider how much they want the story to relate to the world we live in, because often times crowds enjoy relatable worlds and relatable characters. Almost all pieced of media, non-fiction or otherwise, use varying degrees of realism. Heck, if there were no realism in anime...nay, in fiction (which is incredibly open-ended), you would see far less people reading books, watching TV, and getting into the jobs that create the aforementioned. Friendship and love can be used in logical manners in anime, in realistic manners that help to drive the surrealism of the media.

Sword Art Online and Dot Hack actually give tribute to that, and they use friendship and love as emotional strength rather than deus ex machina that gives them super strength (save for one, technically two moments in SAO). The real people are the characters, and thus when emotions are involved, its used in a logical sense rather than as a superpower. For instance, the avatars in Dot Hack GU are driven by the thought processes of the user. Emotions aren't simply the matter of the heart, they are also the matter of the mind and the body. When a user feels angry, it's only natural that the avatar will reflect that, even if it is inadvertent. If the user wants to protect something they love, it's only natural that the avatar will act more desperate and less cautious, that's how people are in real life. You can't not have realism in fiction (especially SAO and DH, which are both MMOs meant to be grounded in reality), because then you not only lose logic, but you also exempt incredible amounts of people from being immersed in the work.

Regarding the newest episode, there were some things I found to be odd.
Spoiler:
The things are actually quite small, and they're not really spoilers either, but here they are. The first is a little stupid on Oberon's part, is that he says that Kirito was weak in SAO, and it was surprised that he was the one that cleared it; reason being, Kirito was a beater, and not only that, but he also had an incredibly high level, very high speed and strength stats, and to top it all off, he could dual wield thanks to his reaction time (which is important, since the skill was created for the one who would supposedly win the game. Though, this scene was simply meant to further drive that Oberon is indeed a bad guy with bad intentions (and the little happening at the end of the scene), and regardless it's not important anyway.
The second of the strange things I noticed is, again, minute. When Leafa steps on Recon's foot, he seems to be in pain for several moments. Though, people in both SAO and ALO have often been seen reacting to what would normally inflict pain, and this is either due to natural reactions caused by the brain to simulate the pain (though this is unlikely, as Oberon later says that, even in ALO, pain a cannot be felt), or due to stimulus, roleplaying, or mere slapstick for the sake of the show. It's again, inconsequential and isn't meant to be taken seriously.
There were probably others, but they were too small to really remember.

Other than that, this episode wasn't bad. There was a lot more fanservice than I was expecting (seriously, it had more fanservice in one episode than the show's had in 16 episodes). It did more to flesh out ALO and help us better understand the world, which is always good.

Last edited by machomuu; November 5th, 2012 at 12:57 PM.