View Single Post
Old November 10th, 2012, 10:29 AM
Team Fail
The fine line between in|sanity
Community Supporter

Nature: Brave
Ok, so today I decided to grab a J copy of the rom. As of now, I've already found localization changes.

First of all, let's look at some graphical changes.
Spoiler:
Note: Left is E/U, Right is J unless otherwise stated.

The TNT crates had the graphic changed in the J release. In the J release, there is a simple bomb on the crate as opposed to the letters "TNT". When jumped on, the countdown timer remains the same.

Nitro crates were also changed. ニトロ (Ni-To-Ro) translates directly to Nitro.

The Nitro translation is retained in the Atlas Sphere levels. I still need to check if this change is also retained in the Wakeboard levels, although I presume it does.

The title screen was also translated, and the graphic (imo) looks better in the J release. Note, it's before this screen, but after the Vicarious Visions screen, that you select a language in the E release. Therefore, Press Start will be in a different language depending on what is chosen. There is no language select in the U release, however, as previously stated.

Here's the copyright screen. It was updated for the J release.

There's also translation changed, for example, when you first enter Globe Trottin', in the J release, Aku Aku gives you a rundown of the controls, but it's left to a ? info spot in the EU releases to give you those same instructions, which also exists in the J release in case you forget.

I'm going to look into all three roms later on, but I am most curious as to how the J release has the text encoded. I'm thinking it's in Unicode, though. I'll have to look and see.

As well, there's some extras in the intro to the game, mostly that there's a Konami logo (KONAMI CODE PLS), and there's a screen change. I'll add that image in a minute.

Edit: Images added.

Edit 2: Was looking in the J rom, and came across this beauty: Debug text!
Code:
GAX2_INIT...OUT OF MEMORY...GAX2_NEW....PARAMS ARG IS NULL..GAX2_NEW_FX.FXPARAMS ARG IS NULL....WHEN USING DIFFERENT FX_MIXING_RATE, FLAG GAX_FX_REVERB AND GAX_HALFRATE_FX ARE NOT ALLOWED.....GAX2_JINGLE.GAX_NO_JINGLE FLAG IS SET...GAX_IRQ.GAX_PLAY HAS NOT FINISHED BEFORE GAX_IRQ. USE LOWER MIXING RATE OR LESS FX CHANNELS OR PUT GAX_PLAY IN VBLANK IRQ...GAX_FX..YOU TRIED TO PLAY A SPEECH FX BUT HAVE NOT USED THE GAX_SPEECH FLAG WITH GAX2_INIT..GAX2_FX.FXPARAMS->FXID IS GAX_DEFAULT
(Offsets 0x51CBD0-0x51CDB4)

Edit 3: Even more!
Code:
GAX ENGINE V3.01 Sep 13 2002..EXCEPTION. PROGRAM HALT...ÔÎQ.FUNCTION NAME:
(Offsets 0x51CED4-0x51CF1D)

Edit 4: After some Googling, it seems the Gax Engine is still in use. http://www.shinen.com/music/music.php3?gax
More games that use the GAX engine: http://www.mobygames.com/game-group/sound-engine-gax

Edit 5: This is the most interesting part. In the UE releases, text is stored in all-lower case, like this:

"crash"

Now, here's the same word in the Japanese release, spelling his Japanese name:

"KURAXTSHIXYU"

It's all stored as romanized characters, each character 2 or 3 bytes long. I need to decipher this.

Edit 6: Characters seem to be stored in 2-byte arrays. KU RA XT SH IX YU Therefore, the X characters seem to be some kind of termination byte.

Edit 7: More debug text in the U release:
Code:
GAX Sound Engine 3.01 (Sep 13 2002) © Shin'en Multimedia. Code: B.Wodok
Now, I want to look for world map pointers. There should be a table 29+ entries long for level headers. Where it is in the rom, I'm not sure as of yet.

Edit 8: I opened the rom in Audacity, and using Unsigned 8 Bit PCM, I got this:
https://dl.dropbox.com/u/34957059/Cr...%20Samples.mp3

Pairs:
Kevin, Echidna
Follow me on Twitter! @TeamFail
Alt 1, リザードン
Miiverse
Pokémon Hackers Online
Alt 2: Jack Cayman

[04:20.39] <@GoGo> I WILL INSERT WITH PLEASURE
[04:20.45] <@GoGo> shut it Bela

[05:41.55] <Team_Fail> Blue Spider is interesting, but #MEHMasterRace
[05:42.20] <diegoisawesome> Team_Fail: Sounds like a bunch of unmotivated people that still want to try to take over the world

Last edited by Team Fail; November 10th, 2012 at 01:25 PM.