View Single Post
Old November 22nd, 2012, 01:48 PM
miksy91
A GB/C Rom Hacker since 2010

Nature: Relaxed
Quote:
Originally Posted by CycloneGU View Post
Two words: Vantrek City. In diego's "Shining Opal" beta. You head along Route 1, enter a cave, and come out the other side still on Route 1 (I suggested renaming the Route, possibly Vantrek Mountain). There isn't a lot of space to travel and no wild grass, but Vantrek City does have a long entrance-type area in the mountain and come down a couple of stairways at the top and bottom; it doesn't just pop up from underground like a sore thumb.

It also exits into Route 2 to the south as a normal exit. That Route does also eventually meet the mountains and goes over them, which literally circle around the city and also invade upon what in the beta is labeled as Route 16 (where your travel is blocked off) and more mountains as the north border of the city (no exit); if it were in an official game, it could have the motto "マウンテンシティ" (The Mountain City).

Again, it's just a personal opinion that a city completely enclosed like this could not be the biggest city in the region. If it's indeed the biggest city in the region, its residents should be doing something to better connect it with the outside world - like Vantrek City.

I suggest the same kind of treatment here. Have the cave in the middle of Area 125. Even have a little wild grass between it and the city. Mountain borders in other spots is perfectly fine and realistic.

Cyclone
It's good to see you put real thought into making that post. But I don't think I'll be changing it from how it works currently because of how the underground tunnel works and is related to some quests in the area.

I was curious to see how what you described works in Shining Opal though so I tried it out. I do see your point here but yeah... it works fine the way as it is.

The reason why Granaldo City is the biggest city in East-Suden because most population of this world (yes, it's an own world, somewhere in outer space and has nothing to do with Kanto, Johto etc.) is centered close to The Capital in West. They do talk about this in the game too.
And the reason why this place has grown so large is mostly due to the research center of Argent Warehouse ending up disbanded (a couple of years ago?) and the science pretty much moved to this city afterwards because they already had a research center built here too.

Hacks I support

Learn how to hack GB/C games:

Check my GameBoy/Color hacking videos in Youtube
-The video set uses Pokemon Silver (U) rom for demonstrations