Thread: Marijuana!
View Single Post
Old November 23rd, 2012 (12:28 PM).
Spreader of the T-Virus

Quote originally posted by von Weltschmerz:
I don't exactly see what you arguing here...

The evidence I provided for shows only that legalization would decrease frequent marijuana use/number of users. If you click the link that I provided, it shows how Portugal's decriminalization of all drugs has led to a drop in their drug abuse rate. You hit the nail on the head... there is ALWAYS going to be people who abuse EVERYTHING. As it now, in its illegal state, the abuse rate of marijuana is a lot higher than it could be. Why? Because people are given scant information and shown only scare tactics. This leads them to search for a deeper truth, which also probably isn't true. Then they either form an opinion that denotes it as bad, or good, and it is most definitely something in between. As they don't have the proper info... they can't make an informed choice... and thus the abuse happens.

Legalizing it would ensure that those of who like following the law, that those of us who AREN'T criminals would be able to enjoy it safely. The small group that will still abuse it upon legalization is entirely irrelevant--that group exists with our without the legalization. The legalization provides only the way out for these people.

Companies producing the drugs would be the best way to ensure that they are safe. Regulations would, as they have with the alcohol and tobacco industries, make it illegal for the companies to give such misinformation about their products. They would have quality standards to meet etc. There would be all sorts of warnings as to what could happen with the use of the drug. The cold hard facts. Not the scare tactics... not someone playing it down... the fact. So that YOU could decide for YOURSELF.

Legalizing would only make the drug use safer. It would not lead to a "boom" in drug use, at least not on any reasonable grounds. And if it did... then they could pull the product of the shelf if the effects were too adverse. The federal government would also effectively disrupt the drug train if they were to do this... making it harder for the dealers on the street to make any money etc and they would slowly fade out of existence. I mean.. who would want to buy some risky drugs from the person down the street when you can go to the store and buy something clean and safe? I know I wouldn't.

Anyways... Colorado and Washington are just the beginning. Emancipation didn't happen over night, and neither will this.

1. I'm arguing that Marijuana should be Illegal. As I've mentioned in one of my last paragraphs/statements, It's going to be a substance that's engrossed in the same market as Alcohol and etc. I don't want this world to have another thing to worry about like DUI's and the such. It's just an unecessary risk.

2. You're telling me that legalizing Marijuana will DECREASE the number of users instead of Increasing it? That seems a little strange. But anyway, I kinda figured that there would be abusers of it since It's every man's dream to smoke pot. God knows why...

3. Right, but this isn't the same as those stupid "Drink Responsibly" bullcrap commercials. Weed can intoxicate the human mind MUCH faster than Alcohol can. (depending on the type/brand) ...and knowing that people will abuse it only makes the matters worse. What happens when people start driving under the influence of it? Marijuana is essentially just another excuse for Car Accidents for the people who abuse it.

4. Tobacco Companies and Breweries only say "You decide for yourself" to avoid responsibility of the people that buy their product. It is a blatant contradiction. Millions of people have died from the drugs themselves. Whether it be from Cancer or Liver Failure... or just from Car Accidents and such caused by the abuse of said drug.

Just because they think they can sign a paper to wish all their problems away, doesn't make them ANY less responsible for all those deaths. They willingly create a toxin, and sell it publicly, so they should have their own risks.

I don't want that to happen with Marijuana. You think Inspectors are going to make those information labels on the side of the product look any less threatening than It really is? Maybe not with Marijuana, but it's severely misleading with anything else.

5. The effects aren't adverse.. It's the actions the people take while they're under the influence of said drug. It's not safe, and as I mentioned before, It's just another car accident or misdemeanor waiting to happen. They might as well have recalled beer off the shelves when it went public, but of course, no one cared. You know.. millions of Domestic Violence calls, Black-outs leading to death, Car Accidents. I can't wait to 'laugh' at more of those stories.

6. If it becomes a legal drug among the entire country, then I'll really find myself to no longer belong in this country. I know America is 'land of the free', but that doesn't mean 'go around abusing Alcohol and Drugs and kill other people'. I just want everyone to live a healthy life instead of purchasing poison and making everyone around them feel more threatened.

So yeah. That was the point I'm trying to make. Marijuana should be Illegal. I don't care what the redditors, or the Potheads, or the Delinquents say, It's too risky, and we already have enough of that in this country.