View Single Post
Old November 25th, 2012 (11:32 AM).
Silver Tier

Quote originally posted by Brendino:
I don't understand what the big deal is, as it's not like I'm trying to offend someone by saying Merry Christmas, I'm just being polite and saying a kind gesture. I'd have absolutely no problem if someone said Happy Hannukah or Happy Kwanzaa or something to me, as they were just being kind, even if I don't celebrate the same holiday.
But really, is it a matter of your intentions or how they are perceived? Because if you are a person who does say "Merry Christmas" / is a Christian you're in the majority (in the US, UK, Canada, etc.) so you have a certain privilege. It doesn't really affect you if someone wishes you Happy Hanukkah the way it would affect a Jewish person to be wished "Merry Christmas." (For a parallel example, a black person having to hear racial jokes from white people about black people is not at all the same thing if you reversed it.) Of course it's rather a small thing to begin with, nothing that would really hurt anyone like racial jokes, which is why it still seems strange that people are so resistant to saying anything but "Merry Christmas."

I don't mean to single you out. Yours was just the first reply on this page.