Thread: [Discussion] Homework Ban
View Single Post
Old November 25th, 2012, 11:56 PM
Frostweaver
Ancient + Prehistoric

Nature: Calm
I don't find it to be a bad thing to appear like a know-it-all and really, it's a good thing to be passionate about what you're studying. Nothing worse than you being in post-secondary and still got no vague clue about what you want to do in the future. If you like to dwell further into the topic, I'll be happy to PM you after this Thursday (tons of work all due on Thursday so lol, we'll chat after all of that mess XD)

I firmly believe that if the homework is of good quality, there should be no ill-feeling about homework being a waste of time or it has no purpose as education supplement. If anything from the sound of those who opposes homework, it feels like their past personal experience suggests that homework wasn't ever handy in 10+ years of education, so most likely all homework can do is cause misery. It will take a very long time, but if you're fortunate enough to have a good teacher with *good homework* (yes, such thing exist in my opinion), I think that you'll have a good change of mind.

It's rather funny that teacher education has a course dedicated to assessments (think "tests" for those who are no longer in school or wasn't raised with the current education lingo), but there's never anything about *how* to give homework. New teachers know a lot of theories about tests... and nothing about homework. I was quite fortunate to have a highly authoritative figure in western Canadian education assessment world as my professor about homework and tests, and it's quite an eye opening experience what proper homework is *SUPPOSED* to do, and sadly most students never got to experience it. (or, refused to do it anyway, sigh)