View Single Post
Old December 3rd, 2012, 07:25 AM
Avishka
Banannaaa~

Nature: Calm
Send a message via Skype™ to Avishka
Quote:
Originally Posted by Olli97 View Post
I definitely agree with you on the Feebas evolution. It's kinda the same thing with Magikarp and Gyarados, however I'm pretty certain both are inspired by legends, stories and the likes. For example, the Magikarp/Gyarados line comes from a japanese legend I think, about the carps leaping over something called the dragon gate and turning into dragons, which is what that evolutionary line depicts. Nothing there to back the Feebas/Milotic evolution up, but it could very well be a depiction of the story "The Ugly Duckling", about a cygnet which ended up living with ducks, and was teased for being ugly, in the belief that it was actually a duckling, but later grew up to be a beautiful swan which everyone adored. Kinda sounds like Feebas and Milotic, don't you think.
Magikarp is based on a legend about how carp that leapt over the Dragon Gate would become dragons. Several waterfalls and cataracts in China are believed to be the location of the Dragon Gate. This legend is an allegory of the drive and efforts needed to overcome obstacles. This may have inspired an element in Pokémon Snap where, after certain steps are taken, a Magikarp will splash its way into a waterfall where it evolves. Magikarp may also be based on Asian carps, which are easily frightened by disturbances in water and can jump 8–10 feet in the air.

Feebas is probably based on a bass, possibly the largemouth bass. Its ugly appearance makes it appear to be also based from the concept of ugliness, appearing to don a wash of ugly makeup. It also seems to be based on the classic fairy tale, The Ugly Duckling, where a small and feeble "ugly duckling", treated as an outcast by other animals, blossoms into a beautiful swan.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Olli97 View Post
As for a Seadra evolution, Kingdra already exists :p
LMAO HOW CAN I FORGET KINGDRA?? o.O o.O