Thread: [Misc.] What I'm Working On
View Single Post
Old December 4th, 2012, 03:15 PM
FL
Pokémon Island Creator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luka S.J. View Post
Sure, that may be true. I'm just saying, that if you do want the extra features that aren't in the kit, a developer should go through the effort to try to make it themselves. But pestering Maruno to do all the heavy lifting for things they personally want, is a bit selfish, considering the large amount of good work Maruno is putting into this kit already. I feel that we get more and more people who just want more and more ambitious systems, functions, etc, but don't want to be bothered to learn, and put work into it.
I agree. When Maruno took over Essentials my first request was to fix the Battle Tower and Hall of Fame, mostly for my use. I end up doing both myself and now they are in Essentials.

Like I said before, when people are suggesting things in Essentials, they need to think "Which features in Essentials can better fit on my game" rather than "Which features in Essentials can better fit in majority of games".

However, I don't agree that everyone needs to learn scripting. There are some people that aren't good with scripting, others with graphics, etc... At least these people need to team up with some scripter if their wish to have custom scripts.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maruno View Post
I should weigh in at this point.

Yes, I want Essentials to contain everything needed to make a Pokémon game. Not necessarily a great game, but definitely a complete one. Anything beyond that is up to the user to do themselves. As far as I'm concerned, it's pretty much at that stage already (minus a few move effects, etc.).

On the other hand, there are a range of completely unnecessary features I'd like to see in Essentials - trading, swarming Pokémon, dongle encounters, more mini-games, Virtual Trainers (battling other players' teams as mentioned above), multiple save support, a Radio app, improved dungeon maps, a customisable time system, and so on and so forth. However, they aren't quite as important as getting what exists to work properly, which is what I mostly work on.

In the specific case of Virtual Trainers (you come up with a better name!), I've considered the suggestion and decided it would be better if it worked a little differently (i.e. put the teams in a folder rather than download them). This alteration makes the feature almost completely unrelated to the Mystery Gift - the only similar part is saving Pokémon details to a text file, but even that will end up being remarkably different for reasons of purpose and efficiency. That means it's a separate feature, and one I won't look at at the moment. It's an interesting idea, though, and I'd like to see someone have a go at it (or even think in depth about it) and see what they come up with.

Maybe it's a good sign that people are asking (demanding?) hugely complicated features like online battles and trading. It means there aren't many bugs and vital things for them to complain about instead.
I think that isn't hard to do using serialization on trainer object and, maybe, a cryptography algorithm (like Vigenère) to don't allow for a player (not the developer) easily edit a virtual trainer.

By the way, my time system is working.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maruno View Post
That's general advice and common sense. The guide is about using Essentials, which resource-hunting isn't. And before you say "neither is saying you should keep backups", I'll point out that every section of the guide has some information specifically about Essentials (e.g. that you can consider a fresh version to be your first backup, which people may not realise).

Besides, resource-hunting is about changing Essentials, not about using it, and tilesets/charsets is an RMXP thing.
Yes, but some people are lacking common sense. And I saw several people preferring others kits because Essentials has gen 3 graphics. They didn't realise that isn't hard to port some resources to Essentials.