View Single Post
Old December 10th, 2012 (02:50 PM).
Silver Tier

Quote originally posted by AzaleaLightning:
Right now, my favorite series are His Dark Materials.
Ooooooh, those are good ones. (It's such a shame they made such a mediocre movie of The Golden Compass.) Really great examples of what the genre can do.

Quote originally posted by synerjee:
the Abhorsen series by Garth Nix
Ahhhhh, that really brings me back. I really enjoyed those books, even though I can barely remember them. I just remember reading them intensely and not wanting to put them down.

Quote originally posted by bobandbill:
One author I particular like is Diana Wynne Jones; all the stories I've read of hers I have enjoyed immensely thus far. I need to find some more on that matter... Others off the top of my head include Terry Pratchet (hard to not like his writing style and humour), Ursula Le Guin (Earthsea series is worth checking out) and Michael Crichton.
AHHHHHH

I love those authors. I've read almost everything by Terry Pratchett and Ursula Le Guin, and everything I've found of Jones. I can't remember what series I was going to mention now.

Oh, wait. I remember. Walter Moers. He wrote The City of Dreaming Books, which became one of my all time favorite things ever when I read it. I had to grab all the other books he's written, or rather, had been translated into English - I don't know any German. I'm actually reading The Labyrinth of Dreaming Books, which is a sequel, but all the other ones are all set in the same book-universe (I think they get called the Zamonia books, after the fantasy world they take place in.) They're incredibly fun. Fantasy, but kind of goofball fantasy/adventure. But not goofball in a Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy way with one nonsensical thing after another, but more like a Terry Pratchett novel without so many overt jokes and more of an overall humor written into the fabric of the books, such as in-story references to a famous Zamonian author Perla la Gadeon, which is an anagram of Edgar Allan Poe.