Thread: Fillers.
View Single Post
Old December 12th, 2012 (02:17 PM).
Will be back eventually
Crystal Tier

Nature: Calm
I'm usually not a fan of fillers either, although some are hilarious. I am, however, a fan when it adds something to the story. D.Gray-man, for example had a lot of fillers in the second season, which had little to do with the manga arcs that happened at that time. But, I must add that most of the early filler episodes (for simplicity, those that take place in Western Europe) were for hilarity or expanded on the characters and the background story. Events that only took a few pages in the manga, got a proper episode or two, which made it that more intriguing and exciting to watch. When characters died (like Daisha, who barely got any screentime in the manga and is a loved character thanks tot he anime) I felt more sad for them (not all, of course). But yeah, that really helped to expand the universe of the series a bit. It was also nice that they animated two stories of the first novel.
What I liked about the other fillers, is that the journey from Europe to Asia feels more normal, slower... In the manga they jump continents one page at a time. The fillers didn't feel forced or out of place the first time I watched the series (before reading the manga). Now I want to skip the second season as the third one is my favourite.

I guess what I'm trying to say is that I don't mind fillers as long as they have some purpose (expand on characters or universe mostly), but empty, meaningless episodes can be left out.

"We shall build a peaceful world... Just you and me..."