View Single Post
Old December 13th, 2012 (8:46 AM).
Lead Dev of Pokémon Essentials
Originally Posted by IceGod64 View Post
I'm inclined toward the use of Trainer House. I would go with that, including having CAL there by default.

I'm guessing the inclusion of being able to choose what Trainer Type of your Gender you want to be like the official games ave isn't something that's going to be included with this though, as it is something that's arguably unnecessary (Though the entire feature is actually technically unnecessary)
It wouldn't be difficult to let the player choose their trainer type. I'm not even sure they should be restricted by gender (although perhaps they shouldn't be allowed to impersonate a Gym Leader or Rocket grunt). Things like intro/win/lose messages could also be customised. All this can be part of the trainer's "profile" and can be changed at will. As you say, it's not required for this feature to work, but it's nice to have.

The question is how exactly should it work? At the moment I'm thinking something like the Trainer House from GSC, where you choose a trainer from a list, then move to an area where you battle them. A bit like the Battle Tower, but just the one opponent and no prize. These battles wouldn't provide Exp or EVs.

I don't know if it would be a good idea to let the player rate the trainer after the battle. This rating would only be for personal use, and one of the options would be "Erase this trainer" which means they don't have to muck around with files and accidentally delete the wrong one. Ratings would only really be useful if players would want to save their favourite opponents for rematches, and I don't know how likely that is.

Originally Posted by FL . View Post
How about, in the "How to use Essentials" guide, a remider like "Look at this wiki when you have doubts and/or want to better understand the possibilities with some feature". In a beginner perspective, some of Essentials systems aren't easy to figure only looking the example maps, specially the PBS.
I think you'd have to be some kind of moron if you were reading that guide on the wiki and not realise that maybe all those other pages were actually there for a reason. They're not difficult to find.