View Single Post
Old December 15th, 2012, 09:48 PM
Lilizuki
The Wise Lesbian

Oda Baldotter
~
The Apprentice's response had been the last thing Oda was expecting, when she hotwired the motorcycle to apprehend the thief. The way she stood with the effort of hours of training marked across both skin and cloth, yet whose vision of the world had the naivety of uncommon to the Adept herself; this was a state of mind she'd gotten used to long before now, as she straddled a rumbling engine and gripped the handles firmly between her slender fingers. There was perhaps complacency in her actions, of getting numb to the true morality of her actions through repetition.

This particular right, Oda hadn't used excessively before, for it was rare for there to be such a large emergency that would require stealing from the island's citizens. Yet it was as easy to steal from the owner as it had been to assault the thief on another citizen's boat, or the times when she'd been required to run a man through with her blade, or even the first time she actually hurt somebody in her youth. All of those times, it could be justified with the notion of self-defense, that there were times when morality could be applied to actions and justify even the most horrible of crimes.

Yet, as many great people throughout history realized, the passing of events could only be described by those present, with whatever moral norm society was used to at that stage. Some were abhorrent to most, thanks to the teachings of religion, such as many scandals in the Americas all the way back through to the times of Ancient Rome. Yet, these potentially great people committed crimes most would call foul of. From slavery, to the slaughter of innocents in the name of a supposed sovereign or deity.

And all of it was unnecessary, because Oda had learned that morality was a concept that was impossible to truly gasp. It shifted with the clouds, and the only person to trust is oneself. To make the decisions that one deems necessary in any situation, based on one's own knowledge and calculations of collateral damage, instead of blindly following an ideal put forth by supposedly wiser beings. They were useful for many things but personal meaning was not one of them.

To gain personal meaning, Oda had been taught, was to explore oneself more thoroughly than any psychiatrist or witch could try. She was still on this path to self-discovery, but maintaining one's own actions was something she learned to deal with long ago. Nothing was worse in the world than insanity that could be supported by others, like those who suffered under the boot of Roman armies. By taking responsibility for herself, she was allowed to make the decisions that would haunt her, if they were necessary, because actions were objective. A man who murdered in the name of his God or country was still a murderer, and the harmful part of it was boasting it as heroism.

"No, Xoxaa, this bike isn't ours." Oda explained, her voice still smooth and her gaze averted to avoid putting pressure on the Apprentice. "I'm a thief, and, no matter how necessary this is, it's still a crime. I will prostrate myself before the owner and admit it, then allow them to decide whether to judge me for it. Meanwhile, I'm under the employment of the Famiglia, and it's my job to get the money back; so that is what I'll do. Are you coming along for the ride?"