Thread: [Discussion] The Food Industry
View Single Post
Old December 21st, 2012 (09:15 AM).
Esper

Quote originally posted by twocows:
Medicine also happens to be created with the help of labs and scientists, and people are using more of that than they used to, too. I suppose next you'll be telling me that medicine causes obesity? The problem is that people aren't eating a balanced and nutritious diet, not that their food isn't "100% all natural." That doesn't matter in the slightest.
Processed sugar (not to mention salt, and fat) is addictive in a way that natural sugar isn't. It's not a stretch to say that processed foods, by which I mean ones that contain these non-natural fats and sugars, are contributing to people being overweight because they make us want to eat those foods more than we should. It really is more of an addiction than anything else that is the issue with processed foods.

Obviously medicine is different, starting with the fact that we consume a much greater volume of food than we do medicine.

Quote originally posted by twocows:
Educating people on nutrition is precisely the solution, and the inanity of your first paragraph actually makes me surprised that you'd suggest it. People should be educated on what sorts of foods available to them at local stores are healthy or unhealthy and in what portions they should eat them. They should be educated on the role of exercise and how it affects weight and overall health. And then, they should be left to their own designs; if they choose to eat unhealthy and not get enough exercise, that's their choice to make. I eat a mix of unhealthy and healthy foods and exercise very little. It's my decision to make, I'll probably die a bit early because of it, but that's none of your business.
Would you then be in favor of more food labeling laws so that people can know what they are getting when they buy food? And what would you suggest be done about the so-called "food deserts" where people have no ready access to healthy foods?

deviantart blog pair