Game of Luck
[ Welcome to the world of Pokémon- ]
-Albeit a slightly different one than you are used to. The biggest difference? Pokémon die.
Pokémon training has always been the world’s eldest sport, and most widely practiced one. Everyone is encouraged to at least give it a try, it is normal for teenagers from age 16 (the minimum age for getting a trainer’s license) and to fill a gap year between finishing high school and starting their further education or career with Pokémon training. In fact, it is rare to find any adult that at one point in their lives haven't dabbled in the training of Pokémon. A select few continue even afterwards, becoming a professional trainer or gym leader. Pokémon training is everywhere, it;'s a huge part of everyday life.
Due to excessive capturing as well as fatal training against wild Pokémon have been getting scarce all over the world for the past two decades. After Kanto became almost entirely devoid of wild Pokémon the league issued strict laws for the preservation of wildlife. For one, trainers may only catch one Pokémon per route, these are recorded on the trainer card and going over your limit will result in the revoking of trainer privileges. As Pokémon roam it can be difficult to keep track of them, however, and with the right computer knowledge one can quite easily override the chip of the trainer card. There are heavy punishments if caught. Another law prohibits the killing of wild Pokémon. This is not so readily checked and some trainers don’t mind the law and do so anyway. If caught the punishment will depend on the severity of the crime, from the revoking of trainer priviledges to a sentencing to prison.
But there’s trouble rising. Pokémon get hurt in battles, some even die, this has always been an accepted fact. Battling is always risky, even getting knocked out can mean internal damage for the creature. Battles are usually fought by the trainer determining when to give up, if they recall their Pokémon that Pokémon is forfeit, but it is quite common for the Pokémon to perish either in battle or after from their injuries. There are even adrenaline injection darts you can give your Pokémon to get them to fight past their breaking point, resulting in the death of the Pokémon, but a chance to win your battle. Pokémon death is an accepted part of battling, even a strategy at times. After all, Pokémon are just tools for a sport, aren’t they?
And that’s where the trouble comes from, to some, they are not. A movement that started in Unova and has seen a steady rise around the world since, Pokémon Rights Activists, fights for more rights for Pokémon. They think it beastly to exploit living creatures like that. They have succeeded in banning adrenaline injections in several regions, namely Unova, Johto and Kanto, as well as more safety restrictions on official battles (mainly gyms) where most casualties occur. Even in the most remote places there has been a rise of activists. There has even been word of extremist measures by so-called Pokémon Freedom Fighters, terrorists targeting the League in the name of Pokémon. They’ve caused a lot of trouble in Unova and other regions already, mostly targeting trainers.
[ And what about you? ]
Welcome to the region of Sinnoh.
You are an aspiring trainer, either native to Sinnoh or coming from another region, who’s serious about Pokémon battling. Pokémon Professors are the only ones who can give away trainer cards, you shall be getting yours from Professor Cyprus in Sunnyshore City. From there on you shall travel the region, collecting the 8 badges in order to challenge the Pokémon League. You will have your own opinions and beliefs on Pokémon battling, and on the way these shall be challenged.
[ The Dice Mechanics ]
There are two ways the dice will be used. For one, Pokémon encounters. I will determine the Pokémon you are allowed to capture, giving you a choice between two (remember, unless the dice says otherwise, you may only catch one of them), determine by dice. This way, just like an actual Nuzlocke challenge, your team will be quite random.
Then, every time you enter a new area (from the first route onwards) I will roll a die for each of you that will give you something random to put into your story.
1. Kill off one Pokémon of your choice. (void if you have only one Pokémon)
2. Nothing Happens.
3. You may not catch anything in this area.
4. You must battle a trainer in this area.
5. One random Pokémon (by dice) is killed off. (Void if you have only one Pokémon)
6. One random Pokémon (by dice) may never evolve.
7. You must catch a Pokémon in this area.
8. You may catch the evolved form of your first random encounter.
9. You may catch as many Pokémon as you wish.
10. The Pokémon your capture in this area will have an Egg Move.
11. One random Pokémon (by dice) may immediately evolve in this area.
12. Kill off two Pokémon of your choice. (One if you have only two, void if you have only one.)
[ The Rules of the Land ]
- This roleplay is rated M for violence, for obvious reasons. Pokémon get wounded in this roleplay, and they die in this roleplay. Still, keep it tasteful and followed the PC rules, please.
- You must obey the Dice. Catching Pokémon, killing off Pokémon or battling trainers, you may do on your own accord too. Keep in mind that, unless stated otherwise, you may only catch one Pokémon at once, I cannot stress this enough.
- You are only allowed to have 6 Pokémon with you at all times. Your PokéNav has a function that lets you switch team members on the spot though. You may not switch during official battles.
- Interaction with other players can be done at any time, however it will be limited to joined posts.
- Pokémon will have levels according to the games, they will have 8 move slots though, for writing purposes. I shall be liberal with them in the beginning to facilitate growth, Pokémon have rather sucky movesets in the beginning, usually, but they shall level up more slowly throughout the rp.
- There shall be no reservations, instead I will give it 5 days after acceptance to hand in sign-ups and I will pick the 5 best ones to participate
[ Sign-Up Sheet ]
Starter: [You may choose your own started, any basic unevolved Pokémon will do. I will give you their statistics upon your acceptance]
Roleplay Example: [Show me how you roleplay, this can be a post for another roleplay or an intro to your character if you haven’t been in a roleplay before. This is a fairly advanced roleplay so I’d like fairly advanced players.]