View Single Post
Old December 29th, 2012 (10:35 AM).
Patrick
Ya'll Are Weird
Community Supporter

Nature: Sassy
This is both hilarious and absurd. If I could break the rules, I'd've just typed myself laughing and then left it at that. Come on, man, you can't be serious.

All arguments about Pokemon being ruined are either "they changed it, now it sucks" or "they didn't change it, RUINED FOREVER", and all it really does is make the person arguing the point sound like an old man. The music they play today is nothing but filth. Why does everything on Cartoon Network suck? And so on. The good old days only exist in the memories of that particular individual. It's not an objective viewpoint.

It's one thing to fall out of Pokemon. I'm that guy, and I'm sure I'm not the only one here. I'd even go along with you if you said the main games are too heavily dependant on a formula that fundamentally hasn't changed all that much (making a case for stagnation). But to say that the reason for such is because they made additions to it (that's what sequels do) causing it to be "fast, confusing and boring" and thereby ruined it as if Pokemon was the gold standard of all video gaming is rather pretentious. It's fine that you like the first generations moreso. You can state that without having to play the "ruined" card, though.

I'm not defending Black and White. All I'm really saying is that you have to be a lot more careful about the way you say things. Using a bold statement like "ruined" has to have objective qualifiers. A better post would have been something like:

"I've played Black and White, but I just don't feel the same excitement about the games that I used to feel. I feel like Pokemon isn't holding my interest anymore. Is it just me? Does anyone else feel that way? Does anyone feel the opposite? Why or why not? Also, offer suggestions, or tell me what you do to keep Pokemon fresh in your experiences."

That last part invites a bit more discussion into the topic, makes it a bit more conversational. But anyway, yeah. You know. I can't close this properly to save my life.

Other Stuff That's Totally Uncool and Not Worth Your Time!