Thread: [News] Shark Tank explodes.
View Single Post
Old December 30th, 2012 (10:50 PM). Edited December 30th, 2012 by CarcharOdin.
CarcharOdin
Master of The Universe
Community Supporter

Nature: Naughty
Quote originally posted by Pinkie-Dawn:
Those poor fish.

Who knows if any of them from the tank was a threatened species. China should really try to build better quality tanks.
I feel you.

Lemon sharks are currently Near Threatened on the IUCN Red List, and pretty much every living species of sea turtle is in the Threatened range, some of them Critically Endangered. Don't know about the rest of the fish, the article didn't specify their species.

Sucks for the fish and the civilians involved. Also, 15-cm may or may not have been thick enough, but Monterey Bay Aquarium has exhibits that use supposedly the same material (acrylic, if I'm not mistaken) and their thicknesses vary from 3 to 13 inches (or about 8 - 33cm) and I've never heard of any of their exhibits doing something like this.

Also it says "A safety expert said: "According to experts' preliminary investigation, the main cause of the incident is that the material used to make the aquarium ruptured under low temperatures after long-time use."

So far it's looking like the main cause was poor maintenance.

My Proposed PokeCommunity Dungeons & Dragons game. Leave a comment if interested.