Thread: [Gallery] pen.pencil.paper (scans)
View Single Post
Old January 1st, 2013 (12:36 PM).
Ya'll Are Weird
Crystal Tier

Nature: Sassy
I think they're fine, to be honest. Your cross hatching and line weight is a strong point, I like the way you do eyes, and you know how to create costume pieces (I'm gonna say costume in the loosest way). I like the first piece the most, but you'll see why in a second.

The second drawing, I'd go with the first version of the character. It might be a contrast bias, but I do think that I like it aesthetically better as well. I also like the armor parts on the 3rd to last, and I love the way the woman looks on the 2nd to last. I like her expression, it's muted, but it's cute.

Now, everything following this is part of a suggestion. It's subjective, not of any real consequence, I probably don't know what I'm talking about and unironically everyone else probably won't notice it, but I think everything is too dark.

What I mean is that if you could adjust the levels just a touch towards the lighter side of things, I can see the details a lot better without feeling overwhelmed with so much black. For example, aim for what you have in your first picture. I can see everything clearly in that one. The 3rd picture is very bold and busy near the bottom. The danger is that it may be too late to adjust levels or curves to get softness in your lighter lines. I don't want them to wash out into nothing, either. Play around with that if you can.

If you're going to go for extreme contrast, like if you're doing a comic, you'll have to clean up what looks like drafting residue to show more clarity, and make sure your lines are really smooth and flowing. I remember seeing an independant comic where the guy crosshatched the ever living heck out of that sucker, and it was busy there too, no doubt. But he made it work as well, because there were only two clear colors, black and white. It probably helped that his drawing style was juvenile to a degree (most indy comic art is, that's not a bad thing). I'd still say it was an eye strain after a while, though, but maybe that's just me.

And that's also why I dunno if I'm all wet on this one.

Yeesh, what's wrong with me today? I'm usually never this critical. Must be because the neighbors returned. >_< Life was good, once... D:

Other Stuff That's Totally Uncool and Not Worth Your Time!