Thread: [B2/W2] But... why Nintendo DS?
View Single Post
Old January 2nd, 2013 (11:41 PM).
im sexy and i know it

Nature: Adamant
If I recall correctly, Game Freak was highlighted as one of the first-priority companies to receive the 3DS development kits during late 2009 (or even earlier than that). Either way, we know that Game Freak has probably been working on a 3DS Pokémon engine for a while, and are perfecting it to the best of their ability.

Pokémon Black & White were on the DS because they began developing it before they even knew about the 3DS. Remember the "C-Gear took 4 years to develop" quote? Pokémon Black 2 & White 2 were still on the DS because it would allow a shorter development cycle.

Game Freak has confirmed before that they don't just work on things when they want to make a new game, they're always designing new Pokémon, new features, etc., and they decide whether they want to use it in a Pokémon game or not.

One thing about Pokémon Black 2 & White 2 though, is that it is the last Nintendo-published game for the DS (correct me if I'm wrong), and because it is a late DS-game, it happens to do a great job at showing off all of the power that the original 2004 DS Phat could do. There's always been that late game in the console's lifespan that pushes it to its limits: for NES it was Kirby's Adventure, for SNES its arguably Yoshi's Island or DKC3, idk for N64, for Gamecube it was Twilight Princess, idk for Wii (Skyward Sword maybe?), for the original Game Boy it was Pokémon Gold & Silver (even though they are marketed as GBC games, they are technically black-cartridge GB games that can still be played on the original Game Boy), for the Game Boy Advance it was Drill Dozer, and for the Nintendo DS it's Pokémon Black 2 & White 2.