View Single Post
Old January 8th, 2013, 01:14 PM
Deokishisu
Mr. Magius

Nature: Relaxed
The 3DS can already read data from the current generation with the Dream Radar, so at least we've got that going for us.

I'd say that the only way we're not getting migration is if the base mechanics of Pokemon are changing. Things like how stats work, or experience, or IVs and EVs and such. Though, with how groundbreaking this generation looks, I wouldn't be surprised if we got an overhaul just like that that breaks compatibility.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SaniOKh View Post
The cart slot was not the issue. The fact that GBA games could not work with GB/GBC link cables was.
Actually, that wasn't the issue. The fact that the data structures of the Pokemon were completely different between Gen I-II and Gen III was the issue. The mechanics overhaul in Gen III that's stayed with us 'til now was the main factor in not allowing GBC to GBA transfers.

In fact, if it weren't for extra unused/redundant bytes in Gen I's Pokemon data structure, Gen I to Gen 2 trades wouldn't've happened either, as Gen 2 needed those extra bytes to save a Pokemon's hold items and splitting up the Special stat into Special Attack and Special Defense. That's why when you trade a Pokemon back to Gen I with a hold item attached to it, when it gets back to a Gen II game, it has the same item.

Last edited by Deokishisu; January 8th, 2013 at 01:20 PM.