View Single Post
Old January 10th, 2013, 08:32 AM
Went
The Seed Pokémon

Send a message via Skype™ to Went
First of all, the solar cycle goes on for 11 years. In other words, "the Sun reached its maximum power" last time in 2002. I sure remember all those satellites and TV's and phones and all sorts of stuff exploding back then. It was a shame, as we had just barely recovered from the great 1991 solar flare that destructed everything that had survived the 1980 one. If you do the math, by the way, you'll notice that the previous one was in 1969, when a huge technological thing went to space or something with people inside for the first time, and it wasn't damaged at all.

But, being serious, the Telegraph were just being scaremonging morons, to the point I could believe this piece of cr- "news" had come from the Daily Mail instead. Because I can disclose that the Nasa has NOT predicted any sort of catastrophical event nor serious damage to anything, not even mild inconveniencies.

And I did not need secret sources or anything to learn that- I just had to check the Nasa website.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nasa
16: Do scientists expect a huge solar storm in 2013?

The sun goes through cycles of high and low activity that repeat approximately every 11 years. Solar minimum refers to the several Earth years when the number of sunspots is lowest; solar maximum occurs in the years when sunspots are most numerous. During solar maximum, activity on the sun and the possibility of space weather effects on our terrestrial environment is higher. The next solar maximum is expected in the 2013-2014 time frame. No current observations or data show any impending catastrophic solar event. In fact, scientists believe the intensity of the upcoming coming solar maximum will be similar to the previous maximum in 2002.

We have never been so well prepared for the onset of the next solar cycle. NASA maintains a fleet of Heliophysics spacecraft to monitor the sun, geospace, and the space environment between the sun and the Earth.

NASA cooperates with other U.S. agencies to enable new knowledge in studying the sun and its processes. To facilitate and enable this cooperation, NASA’s Heliophysics Division makes its vast research data sets and models publicly available online to industry, academia, and other civil and military space weather interests. Also provided are publicly available sites for citizen science and space situational awareness through various cell phone and e-tablet applications.
Here, you can read it as well: http://www.nasa.gov/mission_pages/su...index.html#q15

So don't be afraid, your iPhone is perfectly safe.

Last edited by Went; January 10th, 2013 at 11:23 AM.