View Single Post
Old January 11th, 2013 (07:57 AM).
Real Riders Wear Pink

Nature: Quirky
Quote originally posted by TRIFORCE89:
Les Mis? Really? Best picture? Bah.

Nine films selected when there could be ten, and they made Les Mis one of them? It's in the 70s on RottenTomatoes. All the others they picked are in the 90s at least. And really, with 10 possible flicks. They should really have one that was a "popular" movie, yet well made. I think Skyfall should have been there. (The Dark Knight Rises maybe, if it was nearly-perfect in order to make up for TDK's snub. But it was too flawed)

Speaking of TDKR. No noms? At all? Nothing technical? Not even cinematography (which I'm happy to see Skyfall got a nod for).

Affleck should have been there yes. But, nine best pictures and only five best directors. So... someone going to be left out.
The reasonwhy TDK got so much attention for the Oscars back in 2008 was because of Heath Ledger's death. TDKR didn't have any dead actors this time, hence why it didn't get the same recognition as its predecessor.

I'm actually glad that Les Mis is on the list because it was Universal Studios' 100th anniversary, so it's important for them to make a movie that's just as memorable as JAWS and E.T. to celebrate that year and beat Paramount Pictures, who was also celebrating its 100th anniversary. The Lorax, Battleship, Snow White & the Huntsman, Savages, Ted, and the Bourne Legacy all failed to reach the same statuses as those Universal movies I've just mentioned, so Les Mis was their last chance to do just that. Regardless if it loses to Lincoln or Zero Dark Thirty, the important thing is that Universal has succeeded in making a movie on their special year to be nominated for the oscars.