Thread: [Gallery] idea dump
View Single Post
Old January 11th, 2013 (06:17 PM).
Fairy

Outfox, there's something very... dark and haunting about your artwork.

There's like.. a hint of something fabulously demented, yet whimsical, in all of your drawings. I can't quite nail it down, but everything in your gallery evokes such a strange emotion. This must be the second or third time I've looked at your gallery now, and you know, I haven't commented because I just couldn't identify exactly what it was I wanted to say. But I think I've come to a conclusion-- a conclusion that depends on your knowledge of literature, unfortunately. Your art give me the same feeling I get when I read T.S. Eliot. I just can't help but to feel.. taken aback.

This gallery is an excellent departure from the usual stuff posted here. Not that there's anything wrong with Pokemon or Anime! It's just that this, despite being dark, is very refreshing. I think this piece surprises me the most. Originally, I wasn't all that impressed with it. But as I kept looking at it, I noticed that goldfish in the upper right corner, and it totally blew my mind. Because of your style, and similarly to dbp, I'm a little lacking in a credible critique. You're characters have such deliberately distorted features, that it's kind of a moot point to say that, "oh this one's eyes are too far apart," you know? Unlike dbp, I don't have any good references for you either. :[ Except maybe T.S. Eliot, lol.

I can say, however, that the faces seem to be the strongest part of each piece and things like the shirt in this drawing, or the scarf in this, fall a little flat in detail when compared. I think it's mostly because you've ignored the rule of "stretch and fall", which may be deliberate. But make sure you put equivalent detail into every part of the drawing to make the image more consistent-- unless the point is to do otherwise, of course. [/bad advice]

Well this turned into quite the essay. I think I like the nude the most, if that counts for anything. Anyway, overall this thread was a real treat! Can't wait to see more from you! n_n;
homestuck clubcredit