Thread: [Gallery] idea dump
View Single Post
Old January 15th, 2013 (07:50 PM).
Fairy
loves you!

Hmm.. I'm having a hard time distinguishing what's what in your latest piece. I'm not saying that it's not good, however. I believe conceptually it's very strong. And that pattern must have been painstakingly tedious.. But it comes across as very flat and monochromatic.

Like you said, this piece is far from done. But if you're looking for advice on where to go next, I'd start adding depth by way of blacks and whites. The whole piece is one consistent shade of grey, which makes it hard to see (to me anyway). Also, and this is going to sound horrible, but the pattern looks messy. Now, I totally don't blame you for that. Even if you've been working on this since before you posted a gallery here there's no way it'll ever be *perfect* without some form of digital intervention. But the biggest downfall of this particular piece is just the lack of distinguishable depth and the hardness on the eyes.

All that said, I'm glad you took dbp's advice to give your works more breathing room. This one's not cropped so close to the line art so it's cleaner overall. And again, it's is very strong in concept, so I'm hoping you'll keep working it! I'm so glad you've continued posting your work here! Excited to see even more! :D
homestuck clubcredit