View Single Post
Old January 16th, 2013 (11:57 AM).
On fire
Quote originally posted by CarcharOdin:
You know, I'm just going to throw this out there, but it pisses me off when both sides (especially the anti-gun side) uses the whole "the founding fathers were/weren't envisioning [insert modern weapon] here."

Who the bloody hell knows what the founded fathers were envisioning or intending?

Fun fact: You weren't alive in the 1700's. None of us here were. What the heck do you know about what they were thinking or what they would be thinking?
The whole reason for the second amendment was to make it a failsafe against government. So the people could fight back against tyranny. That whole concept has been made useless by modern technology. The government has an army of flying killer robots that they could use on anyone at any time.

I don't claim to know exactly what they were thinking, but I do know that their original reasons for the amendment are outdated. It was tailored for their own time, and we have the third amendment for this same reason. Being forced to house soldiers against their will was a real concern back then, but you never hear about it now.

Keep in mind that I'm not arguing for the removal of the amendment, but the idea that it should be our right to own any kind of weapon we want is ridiculous. That's why I brought it up. I don't even know if anyone is arguing for that.