View Single Post
Old January 18th, 2013, 12:41 AM
Synerjee
A madman with a box.

Nature: Relaxed
The Hobbit: An Unexpected Journey

This movie features a Hobbit by the name of Bilbo Baggins. Bilbo lives a comfortable life in his home with everything he needs, until the day finally arrives for him to reluctantly leave his comfort zone and embark on a dangerous journey with a group of dwarves led by Thorin Oakenshield to The Lonely Mountain to claim the dwarves' stolen mountain home back from a dragon. They meet several allies throughout the long journey as well as many enemies that threaten their success.

I felt that this movie was really good. I really liked the the development of the characters such as how Bilbo transformed, albeit unwillingly, from that comfort-loving Hobbit to one of courage and adventure, and also how Thorin, the leader of the dwarves, finally came to see Bilbo not as a weakling and a traitor, but as a hero and a friend. I feel that this is something to be celebrated - a change that brings a difference to our lives. The storyline was immensely good and went along well with equally amazing graphics that both stunned and wowed me. As I watched the movie, I felt like I was being drawn into the travellers' adventures and felt very clearly the emotions they felt and the struggles they faced.

There were a few things that brought the movie down by a few points in my eyes, though. As I normally do not watch these genres of movies that often, I found that I was a bit appalled by the amount of fight scenes there were as well as how long it took for the fights to be resolved. I felt like those scenes were almost taking over the whole movie, leaving little space for the actual journey and meaningful conversation. Ignoring that though, the good points definitely soar above the bad by quite a fair bit.

As you all should know, this movie was initially just a book called 'The Hobbit'. However, this book was first titled 'There and Back Again' before its name was changed to what it is well known as now. In the movie, this phrase is seen as the tagline following the title. This simple phrase thought up by the author of the original book, J.R.R. Tolkien, could actually mean something. It could indicate that Bilbo Baggins would go there, and come back again. The word 'there' could mean his journey and quest to the Lonely Mountain with the dwarves, and I am assuming 'back again' means that Bilbo will eventually return to his comfortable home once again. Will he succeed in his dangerous quest? That, we do not know for now, but we do know that he will still be alive and will not killed by the dragon residing in the mountain home. That's a huge reason for a celebration, isn't it?

Overall, as I have earlier said, I really like this movie and would recommend it to anyone who loves a good movie packed with adventure. The production of this movie should really be celebrated as it holds lots of meaning despite the clearly adventurous theme. There are some lessons to be learnt from this movie: Do not be easily contented with the comforts around you. Move out of your comfort zone and you will learn to celebrate life.

I give this movie a rating of 8.5/10.

pairs | twitter | showdown | lake valor | pc family

Last edited by Synerjee; January 29th, 2013 at 09:08 PM.