View Single Post
Old January 19th, 2013, 06:01 PM
Arlo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aerilyn View Post
Bare with me here, but I kind of find it difficult to believe that a short clip of an animated cutscene is what would cause anyone to lose whatever suspension of disbelief they may have over playing a Pokémon game. Given the mere premise of which we know ─ A ten year old kid (in B/W we were a few years older) goes out in the world alone to travel amongst and alongside dangerous creatures ─ I think if there was ever a point to lose your suspension of disbelief, it would be the very moment you put the cartrdige in your system and booted it up to start playing.

Unless what you meant to say was that these cutscenes shift your attention away from the focus of the game and causes you to lose a brief period of interest in what's going on. That I could understand, since I know the cutscenes do sort of take us out of the game as a player and makes it feel like we're more or less watching a small footage of something that's happening. Although, I actually enjoy those cutscenes for its visual effect and being able to physically show us what's taking place in a cool way.

I totally agree with your ideas on the camera angles though. A first person perspective would be pretty neat if done correctly, although it would take some getting used to.
Yes - that's pretty much what I meant. I knew that "suspension of disbelief" was a sketchy choice of words there, but it seemed the best thumbnail description of the concept.

It's not that I inject myself into the game and "become" a 10 year old trainer in whatever region - it's that the separation between myself and the game just sort of fades. I don't notice that I'm a person sitting in a chair with a game in my hands, pushing buttons and watching a screen - it becomes all about getting through the next route and battling the next trainer - planning strategies and choosing moves and looking for paths and talking to people and solving puzzles. All that sitting in the chair holding the game looking at the screen and pushing buttons business just goes on "in the background" so to speak. Then a cutscene starts and blammo. Suddenly I'm just a guy sitting in a chair with a game in my hands - a passive observer while the game takes over and does what it wants to do. I find that to be jarring and unpleasant and the fewer times a game does that, IMO, the better.