Thread: Euthanasia
View Single Post
Old January 23rd, 2013 (01:53 PM).
#FutureHoennRemakesMod
Gold Tier

Nature: Serious
Quote originally posted by gimmepie:
Voluntary - I don't know how I feel about this. On one hand I don't think we should prolong the suffering of someone terminally ill who just wants it over but on the other saying that conflicts very strongly with my views on suicide. I'd say that maybe in extenuating circumstances it could be considered morally sound.
May I ask exactly what those views are? I mean obviously nobody is pro-suicide - it's a tragedy and is entirely avoidable for the most part. But if someone knows they're going to die and knows they're going to be in pain, I don't know how that's at all comparable to someone who's just a bit depressed. I should say that I don't advocate euthanasia to be used except in special cases (like people with terminal illnesses, yes), but then euthanasia (and assisted suicide in general) is only really necessary for people who aren't capable of taking their own life anyway. Is it really worth discussing euthanasia when it comes to healthy but depressed people? As morbid as it may be to say, there are any number of alternatives for them if they're denied a lethal injection.