View Single Post
Old January 24th, 2013, 03:22 PM
Zach
Sniiiii~

Nature: Jolly
In elementary school, we had Macintosh computers that ran Max OS 9. Some were older PowerMac models and others were iMac G3s.. those all logged in with a special program known as KidDesk which bypassed the desktop on first boot. In the classroom the computers didn't have an Internet browser but in the Media Center and the computer lab, those came with Internet Explorer 5.1 for Mac. By my 3rd grade year, however, the school got computers that came with Windows XP. All of those computers had internet access (classroom or not) but were only teacher use at the time they first were given. By my 4th grade year, another shipment of XP-loaded computers came to the school and each classroom had 2 of the XP computers (one for student use). By the end of my 4th grade year, because of the XP computers in the class, the Computer Lab got disassembled and converted into a regular classroom. And finally, by the middle of my 5th grade year, all traces of Apple hardware were gone.

In middle school, it was all XP. Each XP computer had used domain logins for the accounts, so they were universal on every computer. The teachers had their own accounts, there was a general student account and there was an admin account. We also had laptops (probably from the earlier 2000s because these laptops were very slow and had Pentium M processors) that ran XP and served the same purpose. Also, each computer in the school had Google Earth installed on it. My middle school also had wifi spots all over the campus. And by my 8th grade year, I learned the Administrator login and password information.

In high school, its still XP. (at the start) However the computers here are more locked down then they are compared to my middle school experiences (the IT person uses remote control software to enforce school-purpose usage). You cannot change settings on the computer unless logged in as an admin (not even the resolution of the monitor). However, last year, my high school got computers that ran Windows 7! Those are only in some of the computer labs though. It's still XP in the classrooms and in the media center. The logins are the same as above (domain-run). There's a generic student login, teachers' logins and the administrative login. Unlike middle school, I do not know the administrator login information. However, I do have my own personalized login information and it works on both the XP computers in the school and the Windows 7 computers.

TL;DR? :\
Fairy