View Single Post
Old January 25th, 2013, 09:21 AM
François
Earth! Wind! Fire! Water!

Nature: Serious
Quote:
Originally Posted by Razor Leaf View Post
I've seen a lot of people come down with things like the flu - caused by the influenza virus - and throw antibiotics at it.
This entire post is excellent but I had to quote this bit. I'm beginning to come down with the flu so as mum was going to the doctor today, I asked her to get one of those "THIS'LL KEEP YEH FEELIN' 'EALTHY" medicines in the chemist. I specifically asked her to not get an antibiotic as, well, it's a bit pointless. Mum then texted me to tell me she had indeed gotten an antibiotic anyway. And I think she's really quite typical of the world's mindset - people can get antibiotics incredibly easily so they get them for the sake of it, not knowing the risks of doing that. To be fair though, antibiotics do SEEM to work when someone has the flu, so the attitude isn't that surprising. If anything, it's the doctors' fault for giving the antibiotics out. They should know better.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pinkie-Dawn View Post
I have mix feelings about this issue. On one hand, this is a necessary way for natural selection because the human population is way over their carry capacity, and the laws of nature say that if one species crosses the line, their population soon goes down via predators, lack of food, and diseases. Bacteria shares an important role in the ecosystem to keep living organisms at bay from overpopulating other areas, which is why they evolve. We're simply wasting a lot of money that should've been used for alternate resources and deal with global warming rather than on antibiotics that bacteria will eventually resist as the years go by. On the other hand, this situation will lead to something similar to Contagion, which is pretty scary. As modern humans, we don't like the idea of dying from fatal diseases, and we want to save the infected to keep our species alive for generations to come.
As much as I agree that humans are overpopulated and the planet would be better off without us, I'd rather live in a world overpopulated with humans than die a slow, painful, bacteria-induced death, and I reckon you would make the same choice were you faced with death by TB, or whatever.