View Single Post
Old January 25th, 2013 (03:57 PM). Edited July 10th, 2013 by adventure.
adventure
impossible girl

Nature: Naive
The very simplest way to make a post stand out as just a liiiitle more elegant than others is to use the[indent] tag.

Just type[indent] and the text you want to "transform" and end with [*/indent]without the *. That would here yield:
and the text you want to transform
See? The text is just padded a little on all sides, making sure it's not clutched to the sidewalls of the post area. Spacey and more comfortable to read. There's a button for that too if you don't feel like typing it out: You can use several indents to make your text even thinner. With a text as an example:
You wake up in your home in Viridian City, Kanto. This is the day when the resident pokémon researcher, professor Pine, has promised to give you a rare pokémon of your own in return for your participation in her study.
The study involves training this pokémon, capturing as many others as you possibly can, and taking part in the annual Pokémon League Tournament. You will have to travel around Kanto and defeat all the gym leaders. The exact details and purpose of the study is not revealed to you. But the professor compensates your family richly for letting you go on this journey, and you're getting the rare pokémon and pokédex. Everybody seems to win.

Also, don't forget that you can bold text, change the size and font of it easily in the post editor. Don't exaggerate, but it's often a good idea to put some kind of title to your post if you are interacting with others, to remind them of where and who you really are again. In SUs, you can play around with fonts a lot but don't mix too many or it'll look cluttered :p readability comes before flashyness!

'kay. But I guess it's the css you people really want to learn, no? Yes. Ok. Beware that on the rest of the web, this is not considered "real" css. It's simplified here, which is nice.

[cd= lots of text and numbers and stuff here] is a useful tag. You can also use [css-div="lots of text sdjskdjs here"] but I don't know the difference besides css-div being more letters and therefore more annoying than cd :p

It works like this. Say you want to make a SU look pretty. We'll take mine as an example.
Name: Aberdeen Black || Age: 14 || Trainer: BW2 Male || Starter: Servine, Iron Tail

the never lingering echo of a future;

Personality: Aberdeen is a boy of many emotions. His usual stance is to be happy and positive about everything, sometimes to the brink of being annoying, but as soon as things go wrong or people oppose him, he becomes angry and will only reluctantly try to empathize with the other side. Most often he pouts and becomes passively fuming rather than going all out shouting though. He also doesn't have far to tears and can tear up at a beautiful scene, a shocking scare or a sad moment. His priority plan in life is to find himself a girl who is both hot and smart and funny and understands him, and he plans on using this journey to find her! For this, he of course needs to capture a lot of cool pokémon and avoid ugly ones. His biggest fear are ghost pokémon and he likes to tell himself (and everyone else) that they don't really exist at all.

He has no siblings but wishes that he had an older brother and is likely to take a liking to any cool older trainers he finds if they are anything like what he'd wish for in a brother. Just as he'll likely try to impress every remotely hot/smart/funny girl he meets to try and make her his. His interests in life include watching pokémon battles and yelling at trainers on the TV for not using clever enough strategies or not cool enough moves, as well as listening to video game music. As he puts it, music made for movies or games are much more emotional and telling than boring music with annoying song that the radio plays. He always brings with him his music player and adds to his attire a pair of sky blue headphones with black details.
Sure, it fills up the requirements (except the RP sample which I skipped here because wall of text lol) but it's rather boring even with the indent tag. Let's give it a background color and define the text color to make it fits all skins.
[cd=background-color: #fff; color: #222; padding: 30px; width: 700px;] (and then we'll put our SU text here and then we'll put [/*cd] at the end without the *)
Padding works like indent inside the cd-box kind of. Use a hex color machine like THIS to find colors that you like. Also, we skip the indent tag now and define the width of the post instead. 700 is nice.

Name: Aberdeen Black || Age: 14 || Trainer: BW2 Male || Starter: Servine, Iron Tail

Personality: Aberdeen is a boy of many emotions. His usual stance is to be happy and positive about everything, sometimes to the brink of being annoying, but as soon as things go wrong or people oppose him, he becomes angry and will only reluctantly try to empathize with the other side. Most often he pouts and becomes passively fuming rather than going all out shouting though. He also doesn't have far to tears and can tear up at a beautiful scene, a shocking scare or a sad moment. His priority plan in life is to find himself a girl who is both hot and smart and funny and understands him, and he plans on using this journey to find her! For this, he of course needs to capture a lot of cool pokémon and avoid ugly ones. His biggest fear are ghost pokémon and he likes to tell himself (and everyone else) that they don't really exist at all.

He has no siblings but wishes that he had an older brother and is likely to take a liking to any cool older trainers he finds if they are anything like what he'd wish for in a brother. Just as he'll likely try to impress every remotely hot/smart/funny girl he meets to try and make her his. His interests in life include watching pokémon battles and yelling at trainers on the TV for not using clever enough strategies or not cool enough moves, as well as listening to video game music. As he puts it, music made for movies or games are much more emotional and telling than boring music with annoying song that the radio plays. He always brings with him his music player and adds to his attire a pair of sky blue headphones with black details.

Much better already. But the whole cd-box is left aligned... let's just center the whole thing, outside of the cd-tag, and it'll be fixed. But then you should add text-align: left; or perhaps text-align: justify; if you want to be really elegant, to your cd-tag stuff. Also, let's add some cool borders.
[center][cd=background-color: #fff; color: #222; padding: 30px; width: 700px; text-align: justify; border-top: 20px solid #7D153F; border-bottom: 20px solid #7D153F; border-radius: 20px;] (our post goes here again) [/*cd][/*center]
I'm pretty sure you can figure out how to make the right and left borders look in some way too. Instead of solid you can type dashed, dotted, double and some other stuff to make the border look different. You have to define it's size in pixels or something like I did, typing 20px. Same for width of the box and the radius of the rounded cd-box (that's border-radius).

And now, let's do some standard neat formatting with the usual PC text box controls. Bolding stuff and taking away that italic that I put just to separate the post from this educational text lol. I'll also center the first less texty part and add an additional cd-box inside the existing overarching cd-box... no biggie really.
Just type [cd=dkjfksdjks whatever we put here before] lol hi text! [cd=skdjksd more stuff for the inside-box!] whatever should be in the inside box[*/cd] and then we continue on with the rest of our post... [*/cd]

Now we're getting something. Really... plum. Anyways, I added some extra coding to that cerise cd-box in the middle. Just quote this post to see the code I used and play around with it, actually! I'll show you one more thing that I find useful. the float: left/right tag. With it, you can put images beside text without having your text skip rows immediately. If you get what I mean. I'll add a pic to this SU and show you. Another internal cd-box is used within the overarching one:
[cd=float: left; padding-right: 10px;][IMG]http://sprites.pokecheck.org/i/497.gif[/*IMG][/*cd]
It'll appear in level with the text in front of which you put the code. And, um, that's all the basic stuff I'll type up here. There's loads of more you can do with relatively simple css-coding but I'm certainly no expert. The best way to learn is just to play around with delicious looking posts that you find, and try to learn what's really what! Hope something here made sense.

Like I said, quote this post to get the code. Or quote other posts and see what they've done. Probably more advanced than my scribbling ^^