Thread: Muse
View Single Post
Old January 25th, 2013, 09:29 PM
DavidtheDeadPhilosopher

Nature: Modest
Muse was my favourite band for about 4~4 1/2 years. Catching on to them almost as soon as "Black Holes and Revelations" came out. I'm about to go Super-Fanboy on 'yall so I'll politely spoiler the rest for all of you that don't want drool all over you battle-stations.
Spoiler:

1.Showbiz (Album)
5 out of 5
I won't lie, I'm fairly certain I like every track on this album. Even if I forget about them half the time. If I had to choose a favourite track though, it would probably be "Cave". However I change my mind so often, This album might not be my favourite, but it's so solid it's ridiculous

2."Origin of Symmetry"
5 out of 5
Out of the 4 Muse Albums I rate 5 out of 5 this is the weakest of them. It's nothing but personal preference honestly. I enjoy all the tracks on this album as well, I just feel like "Absolution", "Showbiz", "Black Holes and Revelations" and even "The Resistence" seem to get more airtime on my Zune. It's really hard to choose a favourite from this album, but if I had to put one into the spotlight, I'd probally throw out "Citizen Erased".

3."Absoution"
5 out of 5
I really, really, adore this album. I can never truly decide if I like this or "Black Holes and Revelations" as my favourite. Both were game-changers for me musically, shifting me into the Indie/Prog rock stage. I think this album has the best flow of any of the albums, it's the easiest one to listen from start to finish without feeling the need to skip tracks. My favourite song on this album is without a doubt "Butterflies and Hurricanes" It's inspiring lyrics, and beautiful instrumentals are just too good.

4."Black Holes and Revelations"
5 out of 5
Without this Album, and the Knights of Cydonia Music Video. I would of just passed Muse by until they got uber-famous with the 2nd wave of popularity the movie "Twilight" brought to "Supermassive Black Hole". I've very glad for that. I got to really get a good long listen to all 4 albums before the waves of Twilight fans would come up to me and be like "OMG MUZE?!".
I still remember that all the characters from the "Knights" music video had official Myspace Pages lol.
My favourite tracks are a tie between "Map of the Problematique" and "City of Delusion"

"Map of the Problematique"

"City of Delusion"

5."The Resistance"
4 out of 5

I think I like this album alot more than some Muse fans have, I think even more so ever since the release of "The 2nd Law" This album has alot of real winners, and alot of songs, that even though I didn't like them at first, grew to like them in time. (I'm looking at you, "Undisclosed Desires") This is the first Muse Album to have a song by them I straight up don't like "I Belong to You (Words that are in French)". As someone who really enjoys Matt's song writing, I felt that the Exogenesis was a let down. when they said that he was writing a symphany, I was expecting something more grand. That being said, my favourite track is United States of Eurasia, besides the obvious Queen throwbacks, everything just falls in place in this track, from the overall eastern feel, to the Chopin ending

6. The Stupid 2nd Law
3 out of 5

I don't find any tracks on the album to be really...bad. They are just kinda...mediocore at best. Here are a few of my personal takes on some of my lesser liked tracks.

1."Animal" sounds like it came straight off of "Ok Computer" or "In Rainbows". While this isn't the worst thing in the world. I used to be able to (depending on how stubborn the person was) persuade people that Muse was not a Radiohead clone, and that they had quite a bit that distinguished them. This song kinda throw a wrench in that argument.

2.The 2nd Law: Unsustainable, while interesting and unique in theory, comes off as just kinda unimpressive to me. The "Drop" just sounds far to much like "Scary Monsters and Nice Sprites" to make me feel like it's something special. I will say the idea was REALLY cool. I hope they find a way to expand on it and make it their own, but that track wasn't it. At least not for me. Also the 2nd Half of Unsustainable was just.....boring. good piano work aside.

I think with time I might give this album a better rating, but as it is now, I still feel disappointed by it. My fav track is without a doubt Panic Station (That yell halfway through OMG)

Random Fanboy-isms

I love both of the Does It Offend You Yeah Remixes

Adam Lambert actually used a song written by Matt, the original Muse version never was released on a label, but youtube is a sorcerer.

and finally, to end my super kawaii fan-time, I leave you with a few other reasons why Matt and the rest of the crew are pretty much awesome.

Please be aware that the videos posted from this point on contain swearing and reckless tomfoolery.

All That being said however, I still have not seen them Live

Edit: Sorry about the first version of this post, I'm still working out the kinks of my newbness