View Single Post
Old January 26th, 2013 (12:21 PM).
Beware the Chainsaw Meowth 0.o

...I wonder if anybody is even reading these. Anyways, I decided to read the "Poetry Guide" in the sticky part of the poetry section and pick one. In my old poetry threads, I have never done what I have decided to half-attempt. What I am half-attempting:
THE SONNET!!! (dramatic music)
The sonnet may be the hardest form of poetry. Given I don't have that deep of a poetry vocabulary(ex. iambic perimeter, quatrain, etc.), I picked my criteria from the brief part I did understand:
-14 lines, 10 syllables each
-ABAB CDCD EFEF GG rhyme scheme
-Also, sonnets tend to have a 'philosophical idea' or message within them as the guide stated. Given that this is my first time attempting one, and that I'm only going on a half-attempt for the first try(I left out some criteria...), I will probably not have an idea too philosophical.
A final note before I begin:
If anyone is reading this, tell me the rest of teh criteria in simple terms so I can try a rewrite. I need feedback before a second attempt!

THE SONNET:
Valentine's Day, hearts in a daze today
The big dance is happening tomorrow
For chocolates and hearts, guys have to pay
With money spent, love is your wallets foe
Girls desire a lovely teddy bear

Some people never get asked to the dance
If not asked, their hearts shall suffer despair
Boys stare at cute girls as if in a trance

Hearts are broken, relationships are born
Cupid has a busy job, spreading love
Girls want a new dress, one that is not worn