Thread: Game Timeline
View Single Post
Old January 26th, 2013 (3:32 PM).
Mega Houndoom, baby!
Nature: Lonely
Originally Posted by XanderO View Post
There are two major inconsistencies with some of the games. First and foremost. R/S/E all happen at the same time. They aren't at different times, but each set R/S and E have different champions. This is a huge error with many view points on the time line. We cannot use any proof revolving around the Champions as there are two different universes in Generation 3 alone.

Second major issue, PWT. It is NOT canon in any way , shape or form. They bring Giovanni back as a Gym Leader for Kanto and Blue as Kanto's Champion. Blue is no longer the Champion and Giovanni is no longer a Gym leader.

Same is said for Red being Kanto Champion and Wallace and Steven both appearing in the Champion cycle as well.

As far as how they can be linked, as stated before in the other threads where this came up, both Bill and Lanette have made references to working with one another and Bill and Celio both said that they were working with Lanette to create a Link to Hoenn in FR/LG.

The original Email sent to Lanette said that Bill and Lanette created the storage unit together, to which Lanette upgraded her regions and later Kanto's due to link up. Bebe designed her version of the Storage unit well after Lanette and Bill so Sinnoh didn't have a storage unit for trainers until after the events of Gens 1 and 3.

The bit with Team Plasma in regards to other teams. This is all opinion based. Magma/Aqua aren't note worthy at all. They didn't have world domination goals like Rocket, Plasma, or Galactic had. They weren't trafficing people and Pokemon for their own personal goals go the level that Rocket, Plasma, or Galactic were. By comparison, Aqua and Magma were petty small time thugs with no real ambition. Look how easily they gave up after coming inches upon reaching their goal all because the legend they had was a little stronger than that thought they were.

They weren't worth mentioning in either B/W or B2W2 (which other than the grunts, they still weren't mentioned at all by the evil team that was emulating the other two)

Jasmin traveling to Sinnoh doesn't mean it has to be after the events of HG/SS. Cynthia is still Champion in HG/SS and she travels to Johto despite having the possibility of a challenger. They are all able to freely travel as they wish, they just end up closing the Gyms while they are gone. Not like we haven't seen that happen before in the main games.

Giovanni in R/B/Y/G/FR/LG.
Blue in G/S/C/HG/SS.
Lorelie in FR/LG (after her battle plot in the Sevii Islands you gain access to the upgraded E4 and Champion)
Burgh in B2W2
Clay in B/W
Jasmine in G/S/C/HG/SS
By a slight issue with Story not allowing you to go, Volkner in D/P/Pt...since he causes a black out in Sunny Shore.

Also to note...only PCs to be recognized as "Champions" to date are Red and Nate/Rosa. Simply put, Nate/Rosa can only enter the Champions tournament because they are the current Unova Champion having beaten Iris. None of the other PCs have had proof(in other games or in post game info) that they were champions, only that they beat the current champion and were inducted into the hall of fame. (Which no does not mean they are champions, only that the were acknowledged as having beaten the current champion. If the PCs turn down the status then the last Champion is still champion which is usually the basic case outside of Gen 2 post story quest and B2W2's NPC acknowledgement of Nate/Rosa as champions. )((I believe Rival makes note of it, Alder and his Grandson both note it, and I think another NPC says something about it.))
Thanks for saying what I wanted to say, the bit about the box system pretty much proves FRLG and RSE were concomitant or at least very close in the timeline, because how could you link with Lanette if Lanette was in the future? Of course, the Hoenn Pokémon may have existed since the very beginning of the series' timeline, but if RSE were (much) ahead of FRLG in the timeline, a point would've been made in the games themselves about Hoenn being a number of years after the other games. 3rd gen, unlike BW, was a "true reboot", because they retconned a lot of the things about the old games afterwards, like, existence of Dark and Steel-type, existence of Johto Pokémon before Johto becoming relevant to the storyline, and so on.

Originally Posted by C Payne View Post
Free trading and battling is free trading and battling no matter how you look at it. Why not have another time capsule-like thing instead or something like that explained for battling? Allowing players two years apart(literally) to trade as if there is no time difference pretty much shows that it probably doesn't really mean anything other than, yet again, retconning things.
An explanation wasn't needed because the games ran on the same mechanics. Although, I'm not sure you can use Black Kyurem/White Kyurem for link play against someone who has BW (linking compatibility aren't my strength because it's been a while since I last linked with someone).

The same argument can be said about Steel and Dark types being discovered in Gen II(which is after Gen III according to some of you), yet we have both of those types available in Gen III quite normally.

Btw, I'm not saying they have to be inbetween the Unova games, I'm saying that there are also things that go against it happening simultaneously with Gen I.
This was retconned in HGSS.

That whole trading thing doesn't necessarily mean a thing and is more of a game mechanic than a plot point because B2W2 is free of using such a mechanic to communicate with BW, despite the former happening two years later.
But the PC system and the ability to connect with Lanette became plot points as soon as the characters were mentioned.

Aren't you only able to capture them after the main story in HGSS as well? IIRC, you need Rock Climb which is gotten after you beat Blue(which is after the main storyline). The orbs being with Mr. Pokemon could simply be used as a means to obtain Groudon and Kyogre in Gen IV for all we know.
It could go both ways. In BW, Ghetsis is shown to have obtained the Adamant, Lustrous and Griseous Orbs from DPP. How, it's not known and probably will never be, but it's something of note and we know BW takes place many years after DPP.

The fact the Red/Blue/Jade Orbs are in a different location in HGSS therefore rules out the possibility that RSE is concomitant with DPP/HGSS. So they can only be before or after those games. Since there's no evidence of them being after apart from the two grunts in B2W2, even though they mention things in the past and it could be a small while or a huge period of time, I'm going to go with them being before 4th gen. I suspect they could be after FRLG but not long after.

Another thing, which isn't much of a proof but makes you wonder, is the fact that, of all the new evolutions discovered in 2nd gen and 4th gen, I believe Crobat and Kingdra are the only ones to appear in RSE. Crobat/Bellossom/Politoed/Slowking/Espeon/Umbreon/Steelix/Scizor/Kingdra/Porygon2/Blissey aren't native to Kanto, although they can be obtained in FRLG (not Espeon/Umbreon though), but only after you obtain the National Dex. The new evolutions from 4th gen aren't known in Hoenn, which pushes it far back in the storyline.

A Team Plasma Grunt referenced both Galactic and Rocket as 'drawing too much attention to themselves' in BW. Team Magma and Aqua definitely also made their appearance known, especially with the chaos they unleashed on the weather, so why are they all of a sudden exempt from something like that? I'm not arguing that they were doing worse things than Galactic but they were definitely doing something that would've done much more damage than the Rockets were doing had we not helped to stop it.

I've actually played B2W2 so trust me, it isn't me just seeing what I want to. Why do the Aqua/Magma grunts randomly appear in B2W2 with no mention of the teams in BW? Coincidence or not, we can't really be sure but it could point in a different direction than everyone is believing as well.

The Go Goggles have little to do with proving anything about the plot because we'd need them to enter the desert in Hoenn anyways.
The incident with Teams Magma and Aqua had little repercussion out of Hoenn because not even all of Hoenn was affected by the change in the weather. If we take Emerald as canon, Brendan/May managed to summon Rayquaza before things got more dangerous. Besides, I think criminals like Team Plasma wouldn't take Magma and Aqua much seriously because Maxie and Archie weren't high criminals like Giovanni for example, they did criminal deeds but their ultimate goal wasn't a criminal one. And, in comparison with Team Galactic, they were much less dangerous. Maxie/Archie couldn't even control the Pokémon they summoned. Meanwhile, Cyrus was able to capture several legendary Pokémon and was only stopped because Giratina intervened.

Another thing to contribute to the debate: a trainer in FRLG mentions Bruno trained with Brawly once. For someone of the stature of Bruno (E4 member) to have trained with Brawly, it must've been after Brawly became gym leader. Brawly was already a gym leader during the events of RSE, and he doesn't look too old either.

Omega Ruby & Alpha Sapphire, the day Pokémon pulled a Dallas and jumped the shark.