View Single Post
Old January 28th, 2013 (9:20 AM). Edited January 28th, 2013 by Twiggy.
You like dragons?
Crystal Tier
Nature: Hasty
Originally Posted by twocows View Post
7200 RPM is going to drain your battery quicker, everything else is going to have the price per unit size be way off. I'd say stick with what you have, maybe use task manager to see what things are doing the most IO at startup and decide if those things are necessary or not.
That's probably one of the things that sounds easy enough on paper.

I suppose I should start fooling around in MSCONFIG, but there are certain OEM programs that are loaded on start-up to ensure media-key functionality and the hard-disk parking mechanisms work properly, and once I disable it, somehow, it'll stay broken even if re-enabled, so it's a bit of a tough thing.

I'll try to see what I can do with it, though. Keep in mind that application load times after a complete boot still probably stinks.

EDIT: Huh. Even after doing a diagnostic boot, it boots awfully slow. And even when I cherry-pick my apps to load, it still takes a long time - over three minutes - and I had to System Restore the missing functionality since using Normal Startup did nothing with them.

I think I'm going to contemplate getting a SSD or a hybrid.
Hey, it's Twiggy here. Or ♪Twiggy♪, if you prefer. I like Turtwig and Zorua a lot. I'm paired with Kip. I like Katy Perry. I want a Hydreigon plushie. Also, I'm a total PC geek.