Team Cinder (Recruiting!)
View Single Post
January 28th, 2013 (1:48 PM). Edited April 11th, 2013 by Sunbean.
A hack of Pokemon Ruby.
My name's Lessly, and I'm currently recruiting for my team, Team Cinder!
Put basically, I'm new to this hacking business. I've only begun working on my personal project - still nameless - a good five months ago. That being said, I'm not very experienced with a lot of things, if you don't include writing and kind of spriting.
Although I preferred working on my hacks alone, I've recently taken a break from my personal project, and am now setting my sights on a new, more complicated hack (more on that later) that I want to work on with a group of people! As I have said, I'm not very experienced and thus need all the help I can get because this hack is a bit more ambitious than I can handle.
Now, that being said...
POKÉMON CINDER PREQUEL
#1 Priority right now, I'm not sure if this Team will be working on it or not.
The game is a prequel to Cinder, obviously, as I have decided that this hack is far too plot-heavy to pull off in one game. There are many back stories and characters, too many, so I've decided that a smaller, more simple prequel is in order.
The game is entirely set in an academy on the southern coast of the Atora region. The player is a student there. What seems like a normal school year soon turns awry as you unwillingly discover secrets far beyond your control...
Extreme lack of maps (Estimated 40 in all) but it makes up for it in the significance of the story and intriguing gameplay. Not like a traditional Pokemon game in most ways (aside from Pokemon of course) but it also has hints of the basic things the games have but with less monotony. It's actually pretty interesting figuring out how to play.
I'm not going to explain how the academy works, if only for the sake of not spoiling the fun. :3
Features similar to Cinder.
This is, for now, the only game this team is going to be working on. Who knows, if all goes well, we'll work on another bigger project! But let's not get too ahead of ourselves.
You are sixteen years old and dying to embark on your own journey. However, after your mother disappeared over ten years ago while gathering research with Atora's Professor Cedar, your father has forbidden both you and your brother from even leaving your hometown and you reside in Fresheast, as safe as can be...
At least, as long as it could be. One day, a mysterious group raids your town and sets of a bomb in the village square, leaving a crater with a mysterious Pokemon resting inside...
In the midst of the event, your brother suddenly goes missing, sending your father into crippling hysteria. Without needing to be told twice, and your best friend of nearly twelve years are now taking up the task of finding your brother. Along the way, you will solve the mystery of the strange Pokemon and the raiders, find the connection between the sudden chaos and Jirachi, and discover a link between all of this and the past of your mother...
- New region: Atora (with more towns, cities, etc. than usual)
- New Hero/Heroine
- New, darker, and more intriguing plot (split into three parts)
- Better characterization (No more flat main characters!)
dialogue (That means NPC's say things you may want to hear.
- New tilesets
- Different gym leader System (and "hidden" sub-leaders)
- Modified typing and evolution methods for some Pokemon
- Less Pokecenters. Only available in any place with a gym leader.
- Diners/Restaurants/Motels/Hotels in place of Pokecenters. (Lodging and Dining is free! Well, for Pokemon.)
- More than one rival (they all contribute to the story, of course.)
- Hidden items!
- HMs can be forgotten
- Bookcases, television sets, etc. all have unique content. Most are just full of jokes or random tidbits of information but some can be "treasure maps" that will help you find hidden, rare items. Some can also contain information regarding the plot (i.e. a television set may broadcast news letting you know where the raiders are in the region so you can initiate the event.)
- Roller skates! (Because bikes are too hard to sprite)
- Swimming! (That means no Pokemon required - this is a maybe, however.)
- More expensive items
- Slightly increased difficulty
- Minigames (Maybe)
- Fakemon (Maybe)
- Side quests (Vary in task. They could be a rescue mission or just a request to hang out.)
- Romancey-stuff (Perhaps)
The big idea in this hack? More worthwhile content, characters that you can really get to know, and a story that gives you real options. Being an aspiring author, I like to find new mediums to tell stories with and this hack may be the PERFECT opportunity, even if it is a bit too ambitious.
I have plenty of ideas for this hack. However, this is a team effort. So...
Right now I need a few people with some experience, even if it's only a little. I'm learning here too, so this will be a collaborative learning process. I'd like to keep the group tight-knit, so we can all be able to keep track of one another and trust and whatnot, but I'm lenient on the size of the team. Anything from two to twenty (well, twenty may be pushing it!) is fine, as long as we all can get to know each other!
In Search Of
- Spriters/Artists: People that can sprite things, be it trainers or fakemon. OW sprites are not my strong suite, and neither are backsprites, so I'm going to be needing someone who is skilled in that aspect. The artists will make mugshots, character art, and the title screen.
- Mappers: REALLY need these! I am clueless when it comes to making new tilesets, so someone who can do that is desperately needed. I'm still in the process of learning mapping, so I'll need help with that as well!
- Scripters: I really, really need people who have some knowledge of scripting. I'd prefer someone with a bit of knowledge, or at least enough to be able to help me with it.
- Plot Peeps: My right hand people. They'll aid me in making events, writing dialogue, and the like.
- Region Specialists: They'll work with the mappers in planning out the region of Atora, the layout of towns, the gym layouts, etc.
- Trainer Planners: These will make trainers and their teams in a logical fashion.
- ASM Hackers: Probably the most important people of the lot. I'll need some experienced people here!
- Beta-Testers: I'll need plenty of these! Be sure to critique as much as possible. You'll be in charge of pointing out bugs and grammatical errors, and will need to turn in logs with screenshots in order to keep your position. (We're not just playing for fun here.)
Everyone's going to do a bit of everything, I anticipate. Also, ALL of the team members will be included in the game in whatever way they want (as long as it's reasonable) as a special thank you for being a part of this production.
Position: (As many as you like.)
Past Experience: (Not required)
Examples: (Not required, but if you have any past experience, please provide proof of it.)
Activity: (When or how often you'll be available)
Contact Methods: (Any other way we can contact you? You don't have to provide it until you're accepted, don't worry.)
Name: Lessly (you can call me Less)
Position: Basically everything.
Strengths: Writing, Spriting, Drawing
Past Experience: I've started an independent hack.
Examples: I have some examples of my sprites (I'll have them up in a later edit), but most of them are on my laptop which is being repaired.
Activity: Mostly on weekends, but I'll do a little something every day.
Contact Methods: Email, my Skype, and text messaging.
Joined May 2012
View Public Profile
Send a private message to Sunbean
Find all posts by Sunbean
Find threads started by Sunbean
Ignore Posts by Sunbean