Thread: Pokemon Sizes
View Single Post
Old January 28th, 2013, 03:18 PM
Platinum Lucario
The Legendary Master of Light!

Nature: Calm
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arlo View Post
I don't mean "awkward" in any sort of "feeling" sense, but in a very straightforward game design sense.

To run with the examples that have been mentioned a few times now - a Joltik is 4 inches tall. A Wailord is 47 feet tall. That means that a battle between the two of them would be a battle between something the size of your hand and something the size of your local Home Depot. If the camera zoomed in far enough that you could actually see the Joltik, you would only see, at most, a tiny fraction of the Wailord - no more than a bit of blue - the equivalent of one brick in the wall of that Home Depot and certainly not enough to even be able to tell that it's a Wailord. If the camera zoomed out far enough to see the Wailord, the Joltik would be the tiniest speck of dust, impossible to see. Either the game would have to stay with one or the other, so you'd never see the other one, or it would have to constantly zoom back and forth, from one to the other. That would be, either way, awkward.
To me, I don't think it would feel very awkward, just as long as the camera zooms out far enough to see both Pokémon. If the Pokémon are at those sizes... it would make the game feel more realistic.

Either way, think of how Pokémon Colosseum and Pokémon XD: Gale of Darkness dealt with those kind of things, it would be pretty much the same sort of thing if we're talking about Pokémon X and Y here.

It just feels unrealistic to me if the Pokémon are made to be the same size as each other. :P

sure does feel like a brand new adventure!

I'm really looking forward to learning how to understand what the hex values mean and how to create programs using Microsoft Visual Studio!

Always focus on the present, best thing to do! Never look back into the past and never worry about anything bad of the future!