View Single Post
Old January 28th, 2013 (07:21 PM). Edited January 29th, 2013 by Twiggy.
You like dragons?
Crystal Tier

Nature: Hasty
Quote originally posted by Vendak:
Copy over any files you want to keep to a separate drive (read, NOT software), format the hdd, re-install windows. Don't buy a new HDD until after you've tried this, unless you can't be bothered and have spare cash to throw away.

Also simply buying a faster, larger HDD will do little to improve the speed of your PC. If it still contains a 5400rpm then you'll most likely also need a new CPU and possible PSU.

How about once?

Hard disks don't require software to work properly. It's likely that it's just clogged up with unnecessary software and drivers which is causing your PC to run slow.
Um? This is a laptop. Laptop drives almost always should stay within the current power limits of the SATA power connections alone.

Quote originally posted by twocows:
Don't use MSCONFIG, use Autoruns like I said. Unticking an option in autoruns disables it for the next boot only, but you can also delete it permanently from startup as well. MSCONFIG is for diagnostics which you can do just as well with autoruns by disabling on a one-time basis. And it's easy to forget and leave diagnostic or selective startup on.

If you don't recognize something, don't disable it until you look up what it does. That's basic.

Like I said, you need to check which things are doing the most IO on startup. You can do this easily with task manager; start it up (ctrl+shift+esc brings it up immediately), make sure "IO Writes" and "IO Write Bytes" (and maybe their read variants, too) are selected under "select columns" in the view menu, and sort it by those columns. They're both cumulative, so you can see which processes are writing to (or reading from) disk the most. That can give you an idea of what's slowing things down.

If it's "svchost.exe," that's a bit tougher, since it's a service that's doing it. You can right click it and click "go to services," that'll show you which services are hosted by that particular process (there are usually multiple instances of svchost.exe running so that if one crashes, not every service on the system will crash). From there, though, it could be any of the services that are highlighted. And some will skew the numbers: Superfetch, for example, is run when idle and does a lot of writes and reads that let programs start faster.
Where did you mention Autoruns in this thread? Anyway, I'll take a look-see on it.

The problem: Well, since the boot itself is taking so long, it'll be a while before I even see the desktop, so there's that.

Maybe I should just live with it.

EDIT: So I just fiddled with Autoruns. Just to be safe, I made a restore point (which will come in handy).

Now, after removing a lot of entries that I deem unwanted, and also after clearing out temporary files and Prefetch, well, I gave the system five reboots. :3

94 seconds for a complete boot is pretty OK. Guess I can put the purchase plan into the back-burner for now.