View Single Post
Old January 29th, 2013 (1:33 PM).
Gold Tier
Nature: Serious
Originally Posted by LightningAlex View Post
First of all, welcome
Second, I disagree with you. I don't think that losing contact with your family will be that easy as you describe it. It'll just create unnecessary drama, and your family might start bothering you about changing your sexuality. The one time I came out (to a friend), I was suggested to visit a psychiatrist and "fix it". It just can't be avoided with homophobic people.
As for the "nagging over not having girlfriends", it's easy to lie, right? Worked for me for the past year and a half.
Well I don't think you can say how anyone will react to losing their family, really. I am of course not saying I'm going to enjoy the process if things do go badly but no, I wouldn't be overly cut up about cutting contact with people who hate me. I tolerate my father at the best of times and while I get on with my mother for the most part, if she can't accept me then why would I care about losing her? I am not particularly worried about my parents trying to change me, if they don't accept it then I'll cut off contact myself.

Personally I'd rather be honest and without family than commit to spending the majority of my adult life pretending to be someone my parents like. I can't even begin to think of how stressful that would all be. It's one thing saying you have a girlfriend (and all the lies that come with that) but it's another thing hiding living with another man, or whatever. Regardless of how unpleasant cutting off contact with my family would be, it is preferable to lying for me.

(thanks for the welcomes guys!)