View Single Post
Old January 30th, 2013, 06:39 PM
TRIFORCE89
Guide of Darkness

Nature: Quiet
Quote:
Originally Posted by CarcharOdin View Post
Atheism is defined as the absence of a belief in a higher power, generally.

If you find yourself asking for hardcore proof in the existence of said power, you simply don't believe.

I found myself questioning the existence of a higher power since 16.

Therefore, I am an atheist.
I don't think that's accurate. An atheist doesn't question, an atheist "knows" - or is at least as convinced that there is no higher power as a religious person is convinced that there is.

Questioning seems perfectly natural. You can be questioning and still spiritual. But, if you decide that it is not possible for you to know, you're agnostic - not an atheist. To be atheist, you claim to know that there is nothing.

To address the larger current topic, I myself believe in God. And I keep it simple. What I believe is basically summed up in the Apostles' Creed. That's what's important. The controversial hot topics of the day? Do whatever you want, doesn't concern me. Organized religion? Mmm... I take the stance of Homer Simpson. I'm a good person, I try to live my life right. Why do I need to spend my Sundays listening to some old Italian man tell me that I'm going to hell? I do consider my self to be Roman Catholic though. I have some Italian heritage and I appreciate the family traditions and celebrations associated with the sacraments and such. I'm more of what you may think of as being a "cafeteria Catholic".

Last edited by TRIFORCE89; January 30th, 2013 at 06:53 PM.