View Single Post
Old February 1st, 2013 (9:22 AM). Edited February 1st, 2013 by TRIFORCE89.
Guide of Darkness
Gold Tier
Nature: Quiet
There's a quote in the book 'Jurassic Park' of all things that I think explains it rather well.

Let's be clear. The planet is not in jeopardy. We are in jeopardy. We haven't got the power to destroy the planet - or to save it. But we might have the power to save ourselves.

If I can, I'd like to expand "ourselves" beyond humans to include all current life on the planet. All species on this planet are temporary. Will we fade away eventually? Maybe. Probably. If we were to screw up the planet enough that we wipe everything out, something somehow will crawl out of the ashes and start anew. The planet will outlive us and something will come after us. Similar to what you say George Carlin said.

But, fighting to protect the environment or counter climate change is not "delaying the inevitable". On the contrary, it is us not purposely speeding up the process. We shouldn't be rushing toward the bottom. We're fragile. We need air. We need water. Why pollute it? We shouldn't. We should want to protect our own species (and the byproduct of that would be protecting other species)

Should we protect endangered species? Try to increase their populations and such? If we, being the dominate species on the planet, contributed to their weakening numbers; then yes we should. We're stewardesses of the planet and its a moral obligation. If numbers in a species are weakening just due to nature and predators that are not humans? We can protect and educate through zoos and such, but I don't think you should try to increase their population. They'd had their day.