View Single Post
Old February 2nd, 2013 (4:17 PM).
Ya'll Are Weird
Crystal Tier
Nature: Sassy
I guess it could be fun, seeing as 3D is easier to work with. The limitatons of 2D mean that they really weren't going to make a crazy huge spriteset's worth of unique animations per Pokemon, but in 3D, they could give them some sort of mind of their own.

Here's an example: Say you aren't moving anywhere for a while. The game can now have idle animations.

The animations are based on three criteria: The nature of the Pokemon, the time of day/how much it's been worked, and how much it likes you.

However, to keep things interesting, no dreadfully uninspired and boring animations allowed. Period (like just because the Pokemon's a Caterpie doesn't mean that all it does is blink, if that (or go into a default battle pose). Don't give all the animations to Pikachu simply because it's Pikachu). At the plainest, a Pokemon can look back and forth to get its bearings, but that's it. I feel like if a Pokemon really doesn't like you, after a few seconds, it should get "angry eyes" and then turn its back on you until you start moving again. If a Pokemon has a jovial disposition, maybe it does some backflips in place. If a Pokemon is a trickster or ghost type, maybe it makes a scary face behind your back. Or steals something from your bag (a prop, not a real item) like an apple and eats it. If a Pokemon really likes you, it'll run circles around you if it's small like Eevee or Rattata (and your trainer'll react and have an n_n face or something). If it's bigger, maybe it'll tackle hug you or something.

If it's tired from it being late at night, worked for a long period of time, or is just a lethargic Pokemon like Slakoth, it'll just yawn and go to sleep. For something Poke specific, Skitty could chase its tail, Meowth could count the coins it stashed to itself, etc.

I think just including stuff like this will give your Pokemon more of a sense of being, because as it stands now, they're just weapons with faces. Honestly, that's all I really want to see in these games. Give me some kind of signs of life with these creatures. I just don't understand why I'm playing a game called Pokemon instead of Advance Wars if Game Freak isn't going to make the effort to have me empathize with the creatures.

Other Stuff That's Totally Uncool and Not Worth Your Time!