View Single Post
Old February 7th, 2013, 05:01 AM
Cerberus87
Mega Houndoom, baby!

Nature: Lonely
Quote:
Originally Posted by SaniOKh View Post
That was done because Nintendo didn't manage (or should I say "try") to get GBC and GBA games to work together, not a decision by Game Freak. But since we have proof that 3DS apps can work with DS games (Dream Radar) , and if Streetpass is any indication, they can work with 3DS games as well (meaning that Gen 5 -> Gen 6 migration will probably be through a special 3DS app) let's say we're safe for now .
I hope so, having two DS just to transfer Pokémon is a waste of money. :D

Though I think they did this because they expected people to play BW on the DSi, so the players would probably have two DS's anyway (a Phat/Lite and a DSi).

Quote:
Originally Posted by SaniOKh View Post
If GBA and GBC could connect, even if the changes between Gen 2 and 3 were drastic, what prevented them from putting in a routine that would convert EV/IVs, recalculate stats, set a Nature and Ability at random etc? Or at the very least create a "close enough" Pokémon with the same moves, species, gender etc but with EVs set to 0 and IVs set to some default values? Plus, with Game Freak so bent on insisting that their games are all about trading, putting time and effort in the development of something rather useless (contests) while forgetting all about connectivity with the previous titles is honestly a huge out-of-character moment... unless they had absolutely no means to ensure any kind of connectivity in the first place, in which case they simply had no choice.

As a programmer, I often have to deal with data conversion at work. Trust me, as long as you have the technical specs for both formats (which GF did, since they designed them) , conversion is rather easy to implement. IMHO, if that's their excuse for not being compatible with Gen 2, then it's rather... pathetic.
The problem is that the GBA could play GB games, but couldn't do anything else with them. Of course, this could've been solved with a special accessory to enable transfer of data, but Nintendo would never release an accessory just for one franchise. Even the Transfer Pak for the N64, which came bundled with Pokémon Stadium and was used primarily by Pokémon games, wasn't Pokémon-exclusive (I think Perfect Dark used it, as well as Mario Tennis and other N64 games with GB counterparts).

The main problem is the calculation of EVs. Up to GSC, Pokémon gained stat exp on all stats, so they could max out all stats. From RS onwards, they could only max out two stats. If you converted data using a very strict guideline, you'd end up with a 2nd gen Pokémon in 3rd gen with illegal stats. If you erased all stat exp data during the conversion, level 100 Pokémon would become useless since they weren't able to gain EVs back then.

Finally, the introduction of natures meant that all Pokémon from earlier generations would have to have a neutral nature and wouldn't be very useful competitively.

It should be possible to convert (as the transfer we see nowadays is nothing more than conversion of data), but the results would not be usable in the new games.

3DS FC: 3282-2423-7870 (PM if you add) (Bug-type Safari)

I like Lyra so take my opinions with a grain of salt.