View Single Post
Old February 9th, 2013 (02:07 PM). Edited February 9th, 2013 by Toutebelle.
Banned

Nature: Sassy
Islamophobia is a really big problem in society. It's getting worse and worse. If we fail to separate Muslims from Islamic extremists, there could be problems.

I see anti-Muslim prejudices everywhere, and I'm getting sick of it. I purchased a history textbook for college recently. When I got it and read it, I was horrified at the last chapter. The last chapter is very Islamophobic. The chapter looks like it was written by Geert Wilders, Daniel Pipes, or Ayaan Hirsi Ali. It talks about Muslim misogyny and anti-Semitism - I do realize that some Muslims think this way, but most don't. Worse, it talks about the problems that the Muslims cause, but fails to mention the white Europeans' contributions to the problem. I mean, both of them contribute to the division in their countries. At least two of my classmates are Muslim, and I am afraid that they might be offended by the textbook. And I used to be quite Islamophobic because I listened to people like Daniel Pipes. I don't want to fall into that trap again.

I live in an area with thousands of Muslim immigrants and not once have I heard a local report of an honor killing or a crowd of angry Muslim men. I've never met a young Muslim girl who got married to an old man. My college has plenty of Muslim female students. Very rarely have I found crime stories in my area committed by Muslims. I don't think I've even met a Muslim who fit the stereotype.