Thread: [Engine] Pokemon Java Engine
View Single Post
  #14    
Old February 13th, 2013, 04:36 PM
andytu's Avatar
andytu
Ditto engine developer
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Gender: Male
Quote:
Originally Posted by danice123 View Post
Everything about the engine I have coded myself, except a library to read in the sql-lite database from Veekun.com (Props to Eevee for that, it makes everything SOO much easier). I am still messing around with the map format, right now it has two layers, and a movement permissions map, but I am considering allowing infinite (or just a of lot) layers and doing movement permissions based on layers, which would work a little better in the end and allow maps with much more vertical movement.

The menus share a bit of code, mostly to make it easier to stack them (eg. Pokemon menu on top of item menu for choosing which Pokemon to use an item on and so on...). A base menu class is also useful, as it simplifies rendering the menus, you can just abstract a simple render() function and have the player have a Menu variable and a Boolean to tell the engine to render the menu or not. Or just a null check. Makes menu handling a lot easier.

The JFrame is really pissing me off, I have no idea why it didn't pack the window correctly, and though I fixed it, I don't really know what I did to fix it lol. The window is NOT re-sizable, as that requires a lot more flexibility in my code, and I'm not ready for that yet. At some point I will probably add a zoom function (1x to 4x like VBA maybe), but a re-sizing window would probably cause a huge amount of bugs. I also probably messed up the symbol colors lol.

I am not sure when I will be releasing the first alpha. I want to have some sort of content finished before I release anything, but that might take a while. Like I said in my previous post, the battle system's move effects take a LONG time to do. I have about 50 of 340 done at the moment... And some of them require a huge amount of work, like Transform or Mirror Move or crap like that. So maybe after I am satisfied on having a good part of the battle system finished I will put out a alpha.

Thanks for the interest!
Cheers for replying. For comparison I am using TMX format and have infinite layers plus one for movement permissions and another for behaviour stuff (encounters, ledges etc.) which works pretty well. Your menu approach makes sense, they really are a pain to write though however you do it...

Again, best of luck with this, it seems a very well made project.
Reply With Quote