Thread: [Gallery] ✨ The Fairy Garden
View Single Post
Old February 14th, 2013, 04:04 PM
Zissou
Unhatched Egg

First of all, I love your art. I've relished in the chance to see you draw everything you've posted here and feel more than privileged to have been a part of your artistic career.

My favorite of your current pieces has to be the one you've labeled "Diamond Point" because of it's originality of medium and it's perfectly proportioned positioning. Working with 100 year-old tools to achieve something so modern yet so classical is exceedingly difficult and your ability to pull it off so well continues to amaze me. I'd love to see you try a similar piece with the Brause 66EP nib some day, but we'll have to get our hands on some pretty rare vintage ink to make it happen.

Of course I'm a bit biased when it comes to your art, but I like to believe that I'd still be entranced by it if I didn't get to see it every day. I know you're still learning how to manipulate your drawing tablet and trying to find a balance between pen/pencil and paper and digital media, but I sincerely hope you never find that perfect balance. It sounds bad, sure, but think about it like this: you still have a lot of discovering to do. That desire to learn and slight inexperience with new equipment leads you to make different decisions than you would if you had complete mastery over all your tools. Those decisions lead to some of the most beautiful art I've seen and give all your pieces a quality that I can't identify, but love very much.

The analogy I think of is based in jazz. Maynard Ferguson is one of my favorite musicians. His early work is incredible, not because it was thought over until perfect, but because it has an inherent wildness to it. I was lucky enough to see him perform before he died in 2006, but I've wished since that day that I was alive to see him perform while he was still leaning his craft, not acting as master of it. You're still at the place where your art speaks for more than you may intend and I hope you never, ever lose sight of the hard, sometimes brutal steps you've had to take on your way to your current artistic position. As always, I love you very much and hope to see you grow as an artist and as a person. I count myself as the luckiest man alive to be able to see the fruits of your labor.

Also, thank you PokeCommunity, for supporting Alexial so much. Your collective and individual encouragement is appreciated by both of us more than you know.