Thread: [Engine] Pokemon Java Engine
View Single Post
Old February 15th, 2013, 03:50 PM
danice123

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maruno View Post
I don't have any experience in making a new map system, but this one really doesn't seem that intuitive. Doors are restricted to be on the same layer that the player is on, tiles that the player can walk underneath must be at least 2 layers higher than the player, etc. Highly confusing. Infinite layers is just asking for trouble. Plus, how will you deal with bridges that the player can pass both over and under? Changing the player's layer leads to its own problems and would require some very careful mapping.

I do think that the RMXP 3-layers-plus-events system works. Okay, maybe you could have 5 layers instead of 3 for more flexibility, but it's still a good format. Don't fix what ain't an oft-repeated saying. I mean, what couldn't you map in RMXP using just its 3 layers and events? You don't need anything more than that.
I see what you are saying, and my thought is: if my system doesn't work in the end, I can change it. I like how the mapping system is looking right now, but if it ends up not working out, I've already programmed the kind of 3 layer system that you were talking about, and I can do it again. But I disagree with you about the confusing part, in the real world bridges have to be higher than you so that you can go under them, which is basically the basis of my system. I don't think of the layers so much as layers of tiles that look nice, but as different heights of different objects in the world. What it also does is simplifies the creation of maps, instead of having to tile the entire map, then go back and do movement permissions, you can just tile the map once and you are finished. And for bridges and such you have layer changes for the player, which are simple.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maruno View Post
What you should be focussing on is adding more autotiles (RMXP's biggest weakness), and perhaps let tiles be imported for mapping rather than requiring every single used tile to be in the same tileset graphic (the Gen 3 ROMs allow 2 separate tilesets per map, which in itself would be a nicer way of doing things).
Yes... And those both are things that are not even close to becoming features on this engine at the moment. The problem with multiple tilesets is finding a good way to store what tileset is used for each tile. I want to be able to do this at some point, but this will probably require ANOTHER overhaul of my mapping/save system. And auto-tiles are definatly gonna be in the game, but it is not really a priority at the moment.