Team Dark Rising 2 (Now Recruiting)
View Single Post
February 18th, 2013, 03:04 PM
Join Date: Jul 2011
Originally Posted by
In that case, DRG will need to explain how to use Tsukuyomi, explain EXACTLY which FR ROM she used, answering people how to patch the ROM over and over...
And the DR2 thread will be new Light Platinum and Flora Sky thread with complains that the hack is not working.
I don't see a benefit in this...
1. Using Tsukuyomi is NOT rocket science. I learned how to use it on my own. If someone cannot learn on their own then there is always Google, an explanation in a readme included in the RAR archive, or it can be explained in the first post.
2. Even with an IPS patch hack authors still need to explain which ROM they used. Each ROM for the same game may have very slight differences to it that can throw off an entire hack. UPS ensures that everyone applies the patch to the ROM that she used.
3. If people cannot follow simple directions or find a way to help themselves that does not involve being obnoxious then that is all on them. Others should not have to cater to the willfully ignorant.
4. Light Platinum's patch was in IPS format and people STILL complained about the patch not working properly because they did not have the correct ROM. Making an IPS patch instead of a UPS patch is not going to stop helpless people from posting that the patch doesn't work. Either they will complain that the ROM freezes with an IPS patch or that the ROM will not get patched with a UPS patch.
5. There are plenty of benefits to using UPS over IPS...
-UPS patches have checksum information to check against a ROM when it is patched using a UPS patching program. If the checksum does not match the ROM, the UPS patch will not be applied to the ROM. This will continue until the user finds the appropriate ROM that was used by the hacker to create their hack, ensuring that the user applies the UPS patch to the exact same ROM the hacker used. IPS lacks checksum information, so there is no way to tell if an IPS patch has been applied to the proper ROM, other than the hacker saying which ROM was used, or by starting the game up and seeing if the title screen appears (and even in that case, there is still a chance that the wrong ROM was used and this can cause problems with the hack running properly).
-If your hack is over 16 MBs big, then you have no choice but to use UPS as IPS patches cannot be made on files bigger than 16 MBs.
-Hard patching is reversible with UPS patches, so if you have multiple hacks that work on the same ROM all you have to do is remove the UPS patch of one hack from the ROM and replace it with another UPS patch from a different hack. This means you can have just one ROM that will work with multiple hacks without having to create multiple copies of the same ROM. IPS patching on the other hand is not reversible. Hard drive space ends up being wasted for those who want to keep multiple ROM hacks on their computer as you must keep creating additional copies of a ROM per ROM hack you wish to play. The same can be argued for patches wasting space for those who apply a ROM patch and then delete the patch afterwards, but patches are much smaller than ROMs.
-It helps to prevent false bug reports from using the wrong ROM and ensures for paranoid people like myself that they applied the patch to the correct ROM.
To sum it all up, there are absolutely no advantages that IPS patches have over UPS patches. Granted, it could be argued that IPS patches can be applied to a different ROM than what was used by the hack author and have the game still work fine (or with minor glitches that don't inhibit completion of the game), making an "advantage" of IPS patches that they are more lenient and can work with multiple ROMs when compared to UPS patches. However, this is really just a case of luck and fallacy. Realistically speaking, IPS patches are a horrible and archaic patching format that really needs to permanently go away, for the sake of the users and the hack authors.
Space for rent.
View Public Profile
Send a private message to Damned
Find all posts by Damned
Find threads started by Damned
Ignore Posts by Damned